free website stats program saddlebag guard bags & water bottle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

saddlebag guard bags & water bottle

I have used a camel pak when travelling. I will fill it full of ice in the morning and it will melt down. Works well no leaks and fresh cold water on demand.

When I first got my bike I bought the saddle bag bottle holder. Problem is when it is hot out the water does not stay cold. I have frozen it 90% then topped it off with water, it will be hot in an hour or 2. The best thing I have found is the saddle bag cooler, Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

It holds 6 bottles of water and plenty of ice. We tend to ride for several hours so we find a nice big tree to park under and take a pit stop and enjoy the scenery.

If you are talking about the HD ones, they are left and right specific. The left one has the bottle holder. That way you can reach it without letting go the throttle.

TQ

When I got mine from dealer I had the choise of what side the water bottle could be on, I bought the holder for the right side, don't really have any problem with reinstalling the bottle while driving however I don't use the black HD bottle that came with it, I use a water bottle bought from the store with a pull up top, replace it with a fresh cold one when when refueling.

Hey guys their is a very simple and cheap way to carry your water and soadas cold and in a safe reach. I just road a 3097 mile road trip with ice chest on both right and left rear passenger foot boards and a $19.95 handle bar drink holder. It worked great. every stop ice cold water. the handle bar drink holder was not used much ,but the water was there if needed with the throttle hand not leaving the throttle. some times ya have to stop where there is nothing to drink and the ice chest on the foot boards work great for easy axcess.

06 heritage passender foot boards with ice chest 001.jpg

06 heritage passenderhandle bar drink holder.jpg

I have one of the small ice chests like just4u has. I found some thick packing foam sheets, about 3/8 inch thick, at work and stuffed them in between the plastic liner and the soft sides. Also put some foam sheets in the top and bottom. I carry it in my tour pack and it keeps the water or drinks cold 6-8 hours with the foam insulation. On a recent 7 hour ride on 90° temps the two bottles of water I froze were still better then half ice. I may try mounting my on the passenger foot boards.

I guess I'm about to sound like an old lady, but gee whiz guys.....do you really HAVE to drink while riding???

If you're THAT thirsty....thristy enough to risk life and limb to wet your whistle, then I'd suggest it's time to stop for a couple minutes to cool off and take a little pit stop and do all that stuff while at a standstill!

Ditto to that.

Hey guys their is a very simple and cheap way to carry your water and soadas cold and in a safe reach. I just road a 3097 mile road trip with ice chest on both right and left rear passenger foot boards and a $19.95 handle bar drink holder. It worked great. every stop ice cold water. the handle bar drink holder was not used much ,but the water was there if needed with the throttle hand not leaving the throttle. some times ya have to stop where there is nothing to drink and the ice chest on the foot boards work great for easy axcess.

View attachment 4155

View attachment 4156

one problem - on my end anyway -most of my riding is 2-up !!

I guess I'm about to sound like an old lady, but gee whiz guys.....do you really HAVE to drink while riding???

If you're THAT thirsty....thristy enough to risk life and limb to wet your whistle, then I'd suggest it's time to stop for a couple minutes to cool off and take a little pit stop and do all that stuff while at a standstill!

while I do agree with your philosophy here and don't recommend risking anyone's life at all - but - sometimes when you HAVE "to get there on time" !!!??

hey ... quick odd question ...

this being my first bagger ('09 RKC), was wondering how folks use the saddlebag guard bags.
one side has a water bottle holder, one does not.
being right handed myself, is it more convenient for the water bottle to be on the right side?
that would mean being on cruise control or stopped to drink the water, as far as i can tell.
or ...
is it better to have the water bottle on the left so i can still control the throttle as i drink?
all this would be used primarily for long road trips, of course.

any advice from those who have these guard bags?

cheers.

It is quite difficult to get the bottle back in the holder while your riding. It fits a bit tight so it doesn't blow out when it is empty. This also makes it tricky at best to get it back in when riding.

I'd hate to read later that you wrecked while fighting the bottle back into the holder.

Ride safely.

While I agree it is a convenient place to have your water stored (either bag mounted one for the passenger or forward bar mount for the rider, I agree with RichardS and Gilligan, why take the risk of "watering up" while riding...seems like a needless risk.

In bicyling, I use a "Camel Pack" hydrating system if I want to do so on the move...even so I would not recommend any distractions to the pilot while riding.

Back