free website stats program saddlebag guard bags & water bottle | Harley Davidson Forums

saddlebag guard bags & water bottle

hey ... quick odd question ...

this being my first bagger ('09 RKC), was wondering how folks use the saddlebag guard bags.
one side has a water bottle holder, one does not.
being right handed myself, is it more convenient for the water bottle to be on the right side?
that would mean being on cruise control or stopped to drink the water, as far as i can tell.
or ...
is it better to have the water bottle on the left so i can still control the throttle as i drink?
all this would be used primarily for long road trips, of course.

any advice from those who have these guard bags?

cheers.

I don't use a bottle myself but I would say bottle on the left if you MUST drink while you ride.

I found from my 3097 mile road trip last week that a small ice chest straped to the Passenders foot board work sweet. and a handle bar drink holder for the water bottle with a straw was a quick safe way to wet the lips.

I have our bottle holder on the right side, just worked out that way, but after my ride to Vegas a few weeks ago, the left would be better as it would be away from the exhaust heat, both guard bags are more handy than I was thinking they would be. Just be sure you get the snaps connected good, my left side came unsnapped and by the time I saw it about 1/2 hr into a ride, it had burned from the muffler contact, I guess this is made from chinese leather, becouse it was melted away up to the snap.

I have mine on the left. The problem with it is the wind collapses it and I end up having to stick the bottle in upside down to get it jammed in there.

How about instead one of those beer helmets? you know the kind with holders for two beer cans and plastic drink tubing...

I use Leatherneck Jims bags and they carry the water bottle and small case accessory as a "clip-on" feature to their normal bags. I am sure the other manufacturers do like and kind and are about $30-$50 and since it is a slip on clip, probably fit most bikes without any "mods"...call 'em and see.

any advice from those who have these guard bags?

cheers.

If you are talking about the HD ones, they are left and right specific. The left one has the bottle holder. That way you can reach it without letting go the throttle.

TQ

Attachments

• Rally 111.jpg
    Rally 111.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 74
  • Rally 112.jpg
    Rally 112.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 61
Back