free website stats program S & S 106 or SE 103 big bore upgrade kit? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

S & S 106 or SE 103 big bore upgrade kit?

Forgive me if i'm obtuse,but i'm taking it that you and Sage Counsel are acquainted?

If so,has he resolved his problem?As you put it;"What's happening?"

I'm very interested in his issues and would love to hear his final outcomes.

Thanks.Regards.

No, not at all... LOL!! I did see he posts from Virginia Beach and I am from Virginia Beach....

"Whats the story Jerry?" was a commercial we used to see when we were kids...

See: YouTube - Jerry's Disco: 'That's the Story!!!"

I thought I would send a final note to close out the story.

I started this thread with an inquiry.

I explained that I had a 2008 Road King Classic (96 ci) with 42,000 miles (bought new in April 2008, I am only owner and rider); with Rinehart true duals, a stage 1 ac (Arlen Ness Big Sucker), and a power commander III, lowered at the rear with the HD lowering kit.

I wanted to hear opinions on whether to go with the S & S 106ci kit with EZ start cams (either 551 or or 583) or the Harley Davidson 103 upgrade with SE 255 cams.

I wanted improved low to midrange acceleration and power ; I wanted the bike to jump when I twist the throttle in 6th gear when going 70 to 75 mph, so I could accelerate quickly another 10 mph or so. I explained that I generally ride 1 up with a light load; usually ride on the highway at highway speeds above 60 mph, at sea level, in non-mountainous terrain (though I want hill climbing power if possible).

I wanted to use stock heads, at this point, and limit use of any other parts not included in these kits, if possible.

I asked:

Does the 106 ci kit provide enough additional torque and hp (and reliability) where I ride to be worth the extra money? To put it another way, is it better, or about the same?

Any hidden disasters in either?

What change should I expect in gas mileage for each: better, worse or no significant change?

Any thoughts on the cam choice: S & S EZ start 551 or 583? HD 255 or 253 or 254E?

Here are my conclusions:

I chose the S & S 106 kit, with push rods and lifters, the S & S EZ start 551 cams, and added a Variable Pressure Clutch (VPC). I think this was the better choice. The HD 103 kit does not include push rods and lifters - you must buy those in addition, if you need them; you need them if you have any miles on the original engine. You also need compression releases with the 103 kit, unless you do head work to lower the compression, and I didn't want to do any head work. The HD kit also includes a heavy duty clutch spring, and so a harder clutch pull. The VPC means the clutch pulls easily and well without a new heavy duty spring.

Once I got the tuning problems solved, as related in earlier posts (it was detuning -- I am told that TMAX has been exhibiting this problem recently with larger engines), the results have been all I hoped for and more. Zippers took the bike after the builder had exhausted all resources and ideas to make it work right, and kept it for about 9 work days. I am told that it was dynoed and tuned there, and that they created a map, which is now available for download should someone else choose this build ( S & S 106 ci big bore with S & S 551 EZ start cams and a D & D Fat Cat 2 into 1, louvered) and want a TMAX autotune.

The EZ start cams now start easily and well with no strain, hot or cold, so no compression releases needed with this build.

The build produced 93 hp and 112 ft/lbs torque with a power commander III (and D & D fatcat 2 into 1 exhaust). The torque curve starts early and is long and broad, through 4500 rpms. It runs at least as well, and I think perhaps even more strongly, with the Thundermax autotune for throttle by wire, now that it is working.

I have put about 1000 miles on the bike since Zippers got it working right. The bike has terrific power just where I wanted it. It is smooth and strong in every gear and at every rpm I ask for. It accelerates very quickly - jumps - with only a small thottle input. This means that on ramps onto the highway, I get up to and beyond 65 mph FAST; and when I want to pass, no downshift - just twist and go. The bikes rolls on from 65 to 95 in a heartbeat or two. Previously, unmodified, I would twist the throttle to the stop, the bike would get louder, and start to speed up..........and get there eventually. Now, the acceleration is instant. The bike is magical to ride. I have never yet opened the throttle all the way; gets to 95 with a small twist, arm pulling, seat squashing acceleration, so use your imagination.

The gas mileage has improved steadily as the TMAX has autotuned, and is now 40 mpg or so, on a typical 80 mile commuting round trip that takes me from subdivision to highway through the city and back again.

So I recommend the S & S 106 kit with the S &S EZ start 551 cams, if you want results like mine; costs about the same as the HD 103 kit once you add in the push rods lifters, etc. Similar cams are the HD 255 and the Andrews 48H, but you may need compression releases if you choose those cams.

I recommend the 2 into 1 exhaust, and not the true dual, if you want to maximize torque at the low to mid range, which is where most of us ride, on the touring bikes. Reasons for this are explained in detail earlier in the thread.

Gas mileage is at least as good as before the engine upgrade, and can be better, depending on tuner and tuning. But in any event, not worse.

I got the super starting power, awesome hill climbing power, and torque to burn at highway speed, all that I was looking for and more.

The Thundermax has turned out well, and the problems I experienced and discussed in this thread, may now be resolved, should you choose this tuner. Zippers stood behind their product and made it work as claimed; I am VERY happy with it now and wouldn't change it......but if you read through this thread you know how bumpy the road was to get to where I am now...so caveat emptor.

To all who have contributed their expertise, advise, sage counsel, opinions, and humor: Thank you.

And so this is it: not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning.

See you on the road.

Houston we have another convert!!!!!! Welcome to the house of horsepower! (and torque) Glad to hear you have it all worked out and are enjoying it, and that Zippers took care of you. Really great to hear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jammerx,thanks for that light-hearted reply.Now i get it! You had to be there.:s
As you've previously mentioned,these cams are one sweet unit and i for one,wouldn't change a thing.
Except i'm now in the process of leaning off ALL the fuel points on my map because at about 13.5 to 1,it's running somewhat rich and a bit fluffy.But still good.Can't help myself----

Sage Counsel,i'm very happy to hear of your positive outcomes and the fact that you are so pleased with the final results.For some (stupid) and totally obscure reason,i sort of felt a responsibility towards your choices because i really lauded and applauded mine and yours.

Now i KNOW that's not the case,but that was just an errant thought floating around my brain.I've been very confused lately.....

Thanks very much for posting so much info.Was great to read.

PS:your second last post had overtones of finality-(And so this is it: not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning.

See you on the road) Hope it ain't so?

Regards from not-so sunny- Brisbane.

Jammerx,thanks for that light-hearted reply.Now i get it! You had to be there.:s
As you've previously mentioned,these cams are one sweet unit and i for one,wouldn't change a thing.
Except i'm now in the process of leaning off ALL the fuel points on my map because at about 13.5 to 1,it's running somewhat rich and a bit fluffy.But still good.Can't help myself----

Sage Counsel,i'm very happy to hear of your positive outcomes and the fact that you are so pleased with the final results.For some (stupid) and totally obscure reason,i sort of felt a responsibility towards your choices because i really lauded and applauded mine and yours.

Now i KNOW that's not the case,but that was just an errant thought floating around my brain.I've been very confused lately.....

Thanks very much for posting so much info.Was great to read.

PS:your second last post had overtones of finality-(And so this is it: not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning.

See you on the road) Hope it ain't so?

Regards from not-so sunny- Brisbane.

Hey I am just glade Sage got his bike fixed... and his write up was great. I really think it speaks volumes for our advice! LOL!!! Great cams!!!! Hey so is it riding weather down under? Its almost winter here.

I could stand to adjust my map, I believe I am running a bit rich, but I may do my heads this winter so I am waiting to dyno. I did add a set of S&S SPO mufflers and they are pretty cool. Kinda quiet, seem to run good. Other than that its all good!!!

Yes,i was also glad he got his issues squared away and is now happy with his bike.It is always good when people persevere and win.

Not so good riding weather in Brisbane at the moment.While it IS summer,ours tends to be somewhat unpredictable.

We have temps anywhere between 30-38 degrees C, and very high humidity.Coupled with ambient and reflected heat off Ashphalt,plus Harley heat,riding is pretty uncomfortable if you wear the right gear.On top of that we have Summer storms that just blow in and do some serious damage.You can start out in the A.M with a nice fine humid day;then 4-5 hours later you're scared for your life.

I tend not to ride much in summer.But our winter;now THATS another story.

Back