free website stats program Rocker noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker noise

Ok so I thought I was good but it looks like I was wrong. Driving the bike the other day noise was gone when cold and as I drove it to temperature the noise came back. I hear it through increased RPMs but sometimes It quiets out around 2500 rpm while I am cruising.. I got a Stethescope and seem to hear it in the Rocker box.. My question is do I replace the rockers or try rocker lockers. When I had it apart i did not see the marks on the rocker bolts that they show in rocker locker so I am not sure that is the issue. Could it be a bad lifter? (my thought is that when it is cold and the oil is thick the lifter doesnt bleed out as fast) Could be crazy but just a thought.
One more thing - is there a best practice to set the rockers? Like how to position it when bolting it down, tightening ...
BTW it runs strong and my riding buddies says it has a little more bark than it used. I didnt change the exhaust for those who are going to ask that :)

Previously asked but unanswered; where did you set preload? Should be .140". What push rods and what is TPI?

Rocker Lockers are cheap and easy to install. Worth the time and expense even though you did not see any witness marks on the rocker bolts; eliminate rocker shaft movement as a source of the noise.

Certainly could be a bad lifter. What lifters are you running and how many miles on them?

No trick to setting the rockers; place them and bolt them down.

They are stock lifters with 64k on them. the pushrods are crusher adjustable and they recommend 3-4 full turns so I went with the 4. they dont tell you what the TPI is and I didnt measure..

They are stock lifters with 64k on them. the pushrods are crusher adjustable and they recommend 3-4 full turns so I went with the 4. they dont tell you what the TPI is and I didnt measure..

Not saying that the lifters are the source of your noise but i'd change them due to the miles on them. JMHO.

Crusher pushrod TPI is 32. 4 turns at .0313/turn = .125; not deep enough IMHO. Another half turn puts you at .140" which is where you should be. Early OEM lifters are the type 'B' which is as good as OEM gets; Delphi and at the time, still made in the USA. However, FYI, they were replaced in the '10MY, IIRC, with the type 'C' lifter made in Mexico and those had quality issues.

So, I would agree with Jeff on replacing; at 65K miles, I expect they are not holding prime. Several options to replace depending on how much you want to spend. The two options you might consider are; CompCams VThunder 850.1 lifters; about $75 to your door and many run them with no issues, or S&S Standards for about $125-$135 depending on where you buy. Whichever you choose, set preload at 4.5 turns.;)

Thank you guys :D I will look into lifters and for right now I will add the extra turn to the Lift... will let you know

Dolt "your the Man" 1 full turn and the problem is solved.. rode 100 miles last night --not a peep.. This why I love Forums !!!!

Thanks for the update, i'd put new lifters on your Christmas list for your off season things to do.

I know this is a somewhat old thread: but i have to ask the question.
Has anyone on the forum installed these in their own bikes ; and what was the result?.
Were you happy? Did it quieten the motor any?
From what I’ve seen, they appear to do a good job.
But there’s nothing like asking the guy whose running them.
Thanks.

I know this is a somewhat old thread: but i have to ask the question. Has anyone on the forum installed these in their own bikes ; and what was the result?. Were you happy? Did it quieten the motor any? From what I’ve seen, they appear to do a good job. But there’s nothing like asking the guy whose running them. Thanks.

What "these" are you referring to? Pushrods? Lifters? Rocker Lockers? Come on man.:confused:

Back