free website stats program Rocker noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker noise

rw1050

So I had to replace my Oil pump as it started to go south.. BTW it is 2002 FLHTCUI with 65K on it. So I replaced it with the SE High output.. I replaced the Push rods with Crusher adjustable quick install ones.. Put back together and the bike runs good but the front cylinder rockers sound like I am hammering a nail.. I rechecked the push rod adjustment per the specs and still there.
What next? Do I need to pull the covers? if so what is the best alignment for the rockers?

The shaft that slides thru the rocker arms is stabilized at the end by a flat that allows the bolt to slide past, but keeps the shaft from moving in an arc. After years and miles, wear occurs that allows the flats to rotate back and forth a little, causing a lot of noise. There are products on the market that shim up the bolt and stop the movement. Google "Rocker Lockers" and get the full explanation. Note; This is ONE possibility for your noise. There are others.

Good advice from Tourbox and Breeze3at; check the rocker shafts for the witness marks of the shaft movement in the support as suggested. However, "hammering a nail" tells me that adjustment is off; a pushrod is loose. Is the OP sure the piston was at or near TDC on the compression stroke when adjusted. Another possibility is insufficient lifter preload. The OP should check the pushrod TPI and readjust to set preload at .140", not .100". Another possibility is that the pushrods are in the wrong hole; intake on the exhaust or visa versa. Definitely check the rocker shafts for witness marks as suggested first, easiest next step. If not witness marks, start running down the other possibilities. If the rocker shafts show movement, install the Rocker Lockers and readjust as suggested above.;)

Thank you guys.. So i did the following and problem solved:
  • Pulled off the rocker cover and removed the Rockers
  • Removed the Push rods and inspected for rub marks or wearing issue
  • shrunk the adjustable push rods down
  • Reinstalled the rockers with no tension (made sure that I centered them as best I could)
  • Torqued the rockers down
  • readjusted the Pushrods and waited 1 minutes for the lifters to bleed down and rechecked the play on the pushrods
  • reinstalled the Rocker cover and started the Be-a-tch
Drove it for 30 minutes and problem is solved. I checked to make sure the locking nuts are still tight.. Not sure what went wrong the first time but I am thrilled I am all set now..
Well ---- Its a harley -- "for now"

Glad you solved the problem. Still betting first adjustment was off but you nailed it with the second adjustment. Where did you set preaload?

A follow up to my previous and the reason I asked about preload. 30 minutes is not long enough for the motor to see operating temps for full expansion of the motor internals which is the true test for valve train noise. I have seen motors that clatter on cold start, quiet down within a few minutes of warm up but start "ticking" at operating temps. Not suggesting this will happen, just something to watch for. Keep us posted.:icon_wink:

Back