free website stats program Road king shut down | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road king shut down

When the shutdown occurs, you pull over, coast to a stop with the ignition still on and able to restart immediately just by pulling in the clutch and pressing start?

May be the engine kill switch/wiring may be pinched somewhere, or a thermal problem with the ICM (I had that this, but it also would not allow me to start until 30 minute cool down). Sometimes it helps to know what IS working while the problem occurs...is the first sentence exactly so...with engine able to start immediately without cycling anything. Did the turn signals and headlight work? Are your fobs buttonless (batteries low) or button (where something held button down activating alarm (inadvertent activation of the alarm kills iginition function) or did you have to cycle through the entire start sequence cycle ignition switch and then able to start. When you attempt to start right away, does the headlight dim down or starter turns engine sluggishly? Might help you isolate problem if you notice subtle abnormal conditions while you are testing.

Last edited:
Bluesman,

I see that it has been awhile since anything was posetd telling what finally fixed your problem Let me know cause I have the same symptoms.

Bluesman,

I see that it has been awhile since anything was posetd telling what finally fixed your problem Let me know cause I have the same symptoms.

I don't think he'll be getting back to you anytime soon, he's been removed.

I don't think he'll be getting back to you anytime soon, he's been removed.

I'll fill in for him.
I'm working on a similar problem and found a hole in the Fuel line between the fuel pump and the filter of an 04 Injected King .
I was wondering if there is an alternative type of hose that can be used as I will change them both while in there .
Unfortunately the long one has to be purchased complete with the Check Valve :s

Sport King,

When replacing the fuel tubes inside the tank what clamps did you use on the tubes and did you need a special tool?

Glider,

You probably know the answer to my question. When replacing the fuel hoses in my Road King tank, what clamps should I use to secure them and do I need a special tool to crimp them or is there another way to do it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the stock type clamps, they should be closed with the correct tool to get the proper clamp load or you can use SS worm drive clamps . Some use side cutters to close the stock type clamps, not the best way of doing it IMO.

I am having the same issue with my 2000 classic although it happens after about 15 miles and when the bike gets warmed up to hot. It seems after it cools it will fire and go again. No codes. Power is only lost to the tach, but havent checked for spark when it happens. Seems a definate ignition problem but not sure, maybe coil? Appreciate any thoughts.

Back