free website stats program Road King or Street Glide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King or Street Glide

SG all the way. Sure you can always add to a RK to make it look like a SG, but it will cost you a fortune. The money you would spend could be put into the SG and you would have one nice looking bike that you would keep for a long time. You will enjoy all the gauges, radio and the hand protection from the fairing.

After some more thinking, here are a few more points:

1. Two very different looking bikes. Which one grabs you most visually?
2. Fairing vs. removable windshield. Do you want the full time protection and music/gauges that come with a permanent fairing or do you see yourself wanting to cruise around town a lot with the shield removed?
3. Do you like leather or hard saddlebags?
4. Do you prefer solid wheels (tubeless) or spoked?

Dr.D has you covered...the only other thing to bring to the table is flexibility and use. If primarily solo either bike would serve your needs, but 2-UP and longer distant rides the Street Glide due to its long-legged features will get the nod. Having "convertible" feature of adding a Tourbox, having a Sound system and plenty of longer distance comfort mods available, no real down side I can see. Newer bikes have extended warranty, more power and better heat management and ABS for safer "panic" stops (don't mean to raise any flack) and many satisfied riders. Life is too short to follow the advice of your "inner voice"! :D

I need help, I have a 2008 Black Road King with about 8,000 miles. When I purchased the bike I had the bike lowered front and rear and a new seat installed so that I could be flat footed at stops. I had a rider's backrest installed and my handlebars replaced. I'm 5'7" with a 28" inseam. My RK is very comfortable to ride for as long as I wish.

I will be retiring in a couple of years and have been looking at the new bikes. I like the RK's looks but I also like the looks of the SG. My plan is to keep whatever I purchase for a while.

I have been thinking of getting an orange RK, get it lowered and have pipes installed for a little rumble. I would also like a solo seat as my wife refuses to ride with me.

Have the 2011 RKs had any issues? Has HD taken care of the high speed wobble? Has the exhaust been re-routed so as not to burn your leg? I believe I read where HD had changed the frame and addressed these issues, is that true?

While the RK looks good so does the SG! I have never ridden a SG but have read that fairings take some getting used too. That said, I like that the SG has a sound system, I like the short windshield, I like the idea that if raining the fairing redirects the rain around you, not the case on the RK.

I would like your opinions on both the RK and SG, I will filter through the responses and make my choice. I would like to thank you for your opinions in advance. It's great to have this problem, how can I lose they are both harleys. Oh, one last issue, 2011 or 2012?

Sam

Three easy ways to figure out if you like a S/G; Rent one for the day and see if you like it, if not sure after that, rent one for a day and see if you like it, if not sure after that, rent one for a day and see if you like it. (There might be a pattern here) Also, whether you get a 2011, 2012, 1903, 2020 or any model of Harley, the one constant is that they always have "issues". One of the variables is "what are the issues". Its kind of like winning a reverse lottery in the sense that you don't get a prize, but you still have to pay the tax for it. You seem to have the basics covered already and it is just coming down to what you prefer. Since they are both touring models an issue on one is likely to be an issue on the other.

I am a RKC fan. However, if you are going to be doing extensive riding maybe the SG would provide a little more comfort.

Good luck with the choice.

Post a pic of the winner

Back