free website stats program Road King or Street Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King or Street Glide

Thanks Guys, great comments! Are any of you height challenged and any where close to 5'7"? That was one of my original concerns, that the SG couldn't be lowered enough for me to be flat footed at stops.

Would my dealership be able to tell me if they could get it lowered to fit me?

Don't forget you can switch to a Reach seat and/or wear boots with thicker soles.

The great thing about the RC is U can add anything U want , A SG has what it has. RC is in my opinion is the best all around ride. Buy an fairing bike if that is as far as your vision takes U. BOL.:newsmile091:

I'm 5'11' w/34" inseam so no problems w/reach, but you can have the seat modified (Mean City Cycles) - they dropped mine 1.5"...another option.

I have the perfect solution to your current problem.

Keep your existing Road King and buy a new Street Glide.

Problem solved. Its just that easy...:D

I would like your opinions on both the RK and SG, I will filter through the responses and make my choice. I would like to thank you for your opinions in advance. It's great to have this problem, how can I lose they are both harleys. Oh, one last issue, 2011 or 2012?

Sam

It's great to get as much input as possible from the extremely knowledgeable membership on this forum...BUT...I think everyone would be in agreement that you are certifiably crazy if you base your decision totally on what other people say.

You already own a RK so you are very familiar with its pros and cons - the main thing is that HD significantly improved the frame/handling on all the touring bikes beginning with the '09 model year.

Get as much input as you can stand but then you're going to have to get out and spend at least a day riding each bike you're considering. Don't just sit on the bike in the showroom. Get out there and ride it the way you intend to ride it after you buy it.

Most dealerships offer rentals and many also will credit the cost of your rental towards the purchase price if you buy through them.

Have fun, and good luck!

I had a RK cvo (2008) and I also have a 2011 SG.
In Feb is when I believe they will announce the new line up, so wait for the 2012s before you make up your mind...there might be something you like more in there somewhere :)

L

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but HD relases their new linups in July of every year. July 2010 they released the 2011 linup etc....so you may have to wait awhile before seeing if they do a 2012 RK CVO.

When I was thinking about going from a Honda to a Harley I was looking at the SG and the RK. I picked up a 2010 SG last June and haven't been disappointed.

Three things about the SG bothered me at first. The 'shorty' windscreen caused all kinds of turbulence with my full face helmet and "dry eye" with my half helmet. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I wasn't able to sit at a stop light flat footed. The heat coming off the exhaust was crazy.

I installed a 13" CeeBaileys windscreen. Changed to a Mustang seat (simliar to the Harley Reach) and installed a Screaming Eagle after market exhaust.

I can see over the w/s but no more buffeting or dry eyes. I can now have both feet flat footed even if I have to stop where the pavement isn't level. No more issues with heat from the exhaust, and the exhaust has just a nice little purr to it.

The extra protection from a b/w fairing over a regular w/s is sweet. Especially if you have any thoughts about riding when the temps start to drop.

I need help, I have a 2008 Black Road King with about 8,000 miles. When I purchased the bike I had the bike lowered front and rear and a new seat installed so that I could be flat footed at stops. I had a rider's backrest installed and my handlebars replaced. I'm 5'7" with a 28" inseam. My RK is very comfortable to ride for as long as I wish.

I will be retiring in a couple of years and have been looking at the new bikes. I like the RK's looks but I also like the looks of the SG. My plan is to keep whatever I purchase for a while.

I have been thinking of getting an orange RK, get it lowered and have pipes installed for a little rumble. I would also like a solo seat as my wife refuses to ride with me.

Have the 2011 RKs had any issues? Has HD taken care of the high speed wobble? Has the exhaust been re-routed so as not to burn your leg? I believe I read where HD had changed the frame and addressed these issues, is that true?

While the RK looks good so does the SG! I have never ridden a SG but have read that fairings take some getting used too. That said, I like that the SG has a sound system, I like the short windshield, I like the idea that if raining the fairing redirects the rain around you, not the case on the RK.

I would like your opinions on both the RK and SG, I will filter through the responses and make my choice. I would like to thank you for your opinions in advance. It's great to have this problem, how can I lose they are both harleys. Oh, one last issue, 2011 or 2012?

Sam

They are both great rides, but bottom line is which feels comfortable to you. I have a Road King and during a recent visit to my local Harley dealer my saleslady convinced me to test ride a SG, telling me how much nicer a ride it was. I rode it, and as nice of a bike as it is it just didn't feel as comfortable for me as my current ride. Don't only look at the ride, feel the ride and pick the one you'll feel good on for many years.

Vegas Sam, I too am only 5'8" and I didn't have to have it lowered, I purchased the Harley reach seat and put the 2" pullback bars on and that was perfect for my situation..hope this helps

Indyrider, thanks your input was exactly what I was seeking. I have a reach seat on my RK, it works. Now I will feel more comfortable when I talk to my dealer.

I also like the suggestion to rent one for a day to get a good feel of the bike.

This is the best site to get advise, thanks to all who have responded I value your opinions. Any more out there?

Back