free website stats program Road King or Fat Boy? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King or Fat Boy?

Thanks all!
I'll be riding a friend's 07 RK on Tuesday and I'll get some impressions (barring the forecasted snow showers!)

... I'm toying with the idea of jumping onto a Harley. ... 2 models that have caught my attention are the Road King and the Fat Boy.
I'd solidly advise going with the Road King. You'll find it handles much more like a sport bike than it appears it would. The '09+ touring bikes are orgasmic to ride through the twisties. I've got one now. I had an '07 Road King and thought it handled well, but there's a real difference for the better with the new chassis configuration.

Another consideration is the difference between the two you mention where the softail's rigid-mount motor has a few pounds of weight in its twin counterbalancers swinging around all out-of-balance inside the cases (how long do those bearings last?). The road king has a rubber-mounted drivetrain with no balancers claiming first dibs on any horsepower/torque being produced, but it operates quite smoothly nonetheless. My nod goes to the touring setup, which looks and acts alive at a stoplight. While the softail setup is making all the right sounds then, it gives precious little other clue that it's running.

ROADKING ALL THE WAY..add ipod newest one out your set, pull that windshield off on that 100 plus day you got a smile, but the tunes arent loud on the highway, windshield for that the front end looks great with no shield my 2 cent mb

As an owner of bioth a touring bike and a FB. I find it strange picking between the two.
They are from different worlds. Kind of like comong to a stop sign and asking do I got right or left.
A FB is never going to give the ride a touring bike will and that is even a bigger issue if you go two up.
A touring bike will never give you the feel of a softail they are just plain fun to ride IMO.
Wait till you are sure buying the wrong HD is painfull to the pocket book.

Got to second what Smitty said - two totally different bikes for two totally different rides (although both can be used for both styles)... love the touring bikes for any "trips", but can't beat the FB crusing through the back roads and around the lil' mountains we have around here.

i dont think either one would disapoint you man lol both great bikes but doesnt the name say it all ;-) road king gets my vote
Posted via Mobile Device

Due to the design of the shocks and rear suspension, this is why it suffers in the ride department where the touring bikes with the exposed shocks that work in a different way will give you an noticable better ride.

Back