free website stats program Road King or Fat Boy? | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King or Fat Boy?

SeaBass67

Greetings All,
After 30 yrs of riding dual-sports & crotch rockets, I'm toying with the idea of jumping onto a Harley. I would need a machine capable of comfortably cruising at 75 and wouldn't be scraping parts every time I get a little frisky in the turns. 2 models that have caught my attention are the Road King and the Fat Boy. I'm 6'3 so leg room would be a plus as well as a comfortable riding position.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks.

If you want the comfort, go for the RK over the fatboy. The RK has a better suspension and at speed is a lot smoother than the FB. No problem scraping in the turns either unless you really get carried away and the FB will scrape too.

I've owned both. The Fatboy has a seat that is very comfy, plus handlebar and control positions that were perfect for me, but I'm 5'10". However, the Road King gave a much more superior ride...I was used to long distance trips on the Fatboy and couldn't believe the difference when I got the Road King. For long trips...RK all the way.

I'am also thinking of a R/K/C or a Heritage. I have been doing a lots of thinking on it. I Want to do something before next spring. I have to sell my bike first. I am 5'7'' I weight a 155Lbs. I think I can handle a R/C....::bigsmiley24:

Road King! only way to go. A friend of mine, she's 120lbs. soaking wet, 5'4" ride's her RK with her boy friend 6'1" 200+ on the back no problem. Well one problem, he only rode on the back once and has never, ever been able to live it down :D :D

Road King! only way to go. A friend of mine, she's 120lbs. soaking wet, 5'4" ride's her RK with her boy friend 6'1" 200+ on the back no problem. Well one problem, he only rode on the back once and has never, ever been able to live it down :D :D
yeah, huge problem if the chick is driving the 200-pounder on the back.

Road King is a member of the Touring family of bikes. If you're going to be doing any long distance, multiple day, 2 up touring type of riding, then this is the bike you want, hands down. Very versatile bike, too. Add the tour pak for more storage and better passenger comfort (backrest.) Remove the tour pak and windshield for in town cruising. I narrowed my choices down to the Road King or Street Glide 2 years ago and only went for the SG because of the fairing and the tunes. RK was a VERY close second for me.

Fat Boy is a Softail. Great for cruising. Not as well suited to longer trips although it's still entirely possible with saddlebags and a windshield added. Of course, then you have a Heritage!

Both are great bikes and can easily handle the speeds and riding style you mentioned. Demo/rent both, analyze the type of riding you'll be doing, and then listen to your heart!

road king. but rk is a little tall (stock) initially for a guy like me who is 5' 9". drop the back end and it's the way to go.

Do what I did with my RKC, put a set of ledgend air shocks with the onboard compressor, great ride and you can raise or lower it about 2". The 09's, 10's sit higher than my 98.

Back