free website stats program Retirement where? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Retirement where?

I was born in Texas and I will die here so I am a mite prejudiced. I currently live in Houston and was born 70 miles from here but I will not retire here. It is just getting too big and too many problems that go with that.

It gets hot in Texas and for us locals, it can get pretty cold in the northern parts of the state. I am thinking about San Angel which is just south of Abilene - 90 miles or so. I still enjoy going to the gulf but unless you go to the Corpus Christi (SW as you can get) you do not get the beautiful water and beaches that you would see in Florida or California.

You also need to remember that you can still ride to other parts of the country. I see pictures that are absolutely stunning and I doubt you will find anything like that in Texas.

I would suggest you come and visit. You will find friendly people from many different back grounds and cultures. Texas is much like the early United States - everyone came from somewhere else but once you are here, you are part of one big family.

We don't have an income tax and most likely never will. I believe this is made up for with sales and property tax with the thinking being if you buy it or own it, you need to pay your share. The state is rich in tradition and herritage and legends abound. Some of them even have some truth to them.

With that being said, my vote is for central Texas or a little west to what we call the Hill Country. Of course I like the old west feeling that indians might come riding over the next hill with the Texas Rangers in hot pursuit.

For the record my wife wants to retire in Madison Wisconsin. She visited there once in the summer and fell in love with the people and the scenery. I told her to send me some pictures come winter.

I was born in Texas and I will die here so I am a mite prejudiced. I currently live in Houston and was born 70 miles from here but I will not retire here. It is just getting too big and too many problems that go with that.

It gets hot in Texas and for us locals, it can get pretty cold in the northern parts of the state. I am thinking about San Angel which is just south of Abilene - 90 miles or so. I still enjoy going to the gulf but unless you go to the Corpus Christi (SW as you can get) you do not get the beautiful water and beaches that you would see in Florida or California.

You also need to remember that you can still ride to other parts of the country. I see pictures that are absolutely stunning and I doubt you will find anything like that in Texas.

I would suggest you come and visit. You will find friendly people from many different back grounds and cultures. Texas is much like the early United States - everyone came from somewhere else but once you are here, you are part of one big family.

We don't have an income tax and most likely never will. I believe this is made up for with sales and property tax with the thinking being if you buy it or own it, you need to pay your share. The state is rich in tradition and herritage and legends abound. Some of them even have some truth to them.

With that being said, my vote is for central Texas or a little west to what we call the Hill Country. Of course I like the old west feeling that indians might come riding over the next hill with the Texas Rangers in hot pursuit.

For the record my wife wants to retire in Madison Wisconsin. She visited there once in the summer and fell in love with the people and the scenery. I told her to send me some pictures come winter.

Spade, with all due respect to your wife; is she nuts or what? I'm almost 400 miles South of Madison and I'm getting to where I can't stand our winters which I'm sure aren't quite as bad as Madison's. The bright side is; with all the money she'll save not having to buy sunscreen she can pay for postage on all those pictures she'll be sending you.

Don't move to Nevada it a good kept secret for retirement.
Summer time we ride after the sun goes down. But you can
ride all year long.

I am close to the Abilene Texas area, the rideing is great but if I had a do over I would of moved to the corpus christy area, It is more of a party area with the islands and spring break, has the good parts of fla. nice weather, hot in aug , but thats sturgis time

Did the find your spot thing for a giggle.

Results came back:

Page, AZ
Moab, UT
Bisbee, AZ

Funny, I was around there in '95, really liked it. :)

Think Texas, no income tax (state), ride all year if you can ride in Aug when it is 100.

I'm a Canuck...and in 4 years (give or take) I'll be spending Nov - Apr in the Corpus area...haven't decided if I'll buy a mini-home down there or RV it..haul it by truck with the Harley in the bed...I don't know if I could spend 4-5 months living in a 27-32 ft RV tho. Anyone know what average mini-home go for down there?

Live in N.H. For 55 Years know live in Middle T.N. and like it been here for 7 years and would not think of going back up north.:)

Back