free website stats program Retirement where? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Retirement where?

You are where I would like to move. I would love to live in Prescott.

I only wish that I lived in Arizona. I've only visited there three or four times and loved the whole area. Prescott is one cool town. If my wife ever retires and my rich uncle gets out of the poor house, I might be able to move there. I've learned to hate Ohio winters. :(

IMO, retirement living/location(s) depend on the individual(s) hobbies/interests. EX: If you want to ride 10-12 months/yr - then go South, if you want 4-seasons - go North, etc. Many states have great websites to research & best advice is to mutually list what you/spouse expect to do during retirement, narrow down a few states, research, visit/plan & go for it.

From my military background & being located in some undesireable locations, you can make any place enjoyable - as long as you're happy. Good luck!

Anywhere in Mississippi or Alabama. North parts ride about 9 to 10 months, middle 10 to all year and all year in the south. Great ridding mountains to praire to ocean. Low taxes. Love it here.

You're joking, right? Mountains in Mississippi? There's some nice foothills in northern Alabama but mountains?

I like Arizona. You can find a wide variety of temps within just 2 or 3 hours.

Gotta agree that Arizona has a wide choice of temperatures and topography within a half days ride.

To me, the main thing when you're talking about a permanent retirement location is what percentage of your life is devoted to motorcycling. If it's the main thing you and your wife (if married) ever do, then decide what type of riding you most enjoy and find some place where you can do that the majority of the year.

If, like most, you really like riding but have many other interests in your life, then you have to factor that in to your decision. We like eating out, going to movies and sporting events, and just hanging out with friends. I could never move somewhere just for the great riding and sacrifice accessability to those other things or I'd be divorced in a heartbeat!

Out west, there seem to be lots of choices - Arizona, Albuquerque, northern California would all work for me.

A little tougher east of the mighty Mississippi - north Georgia is pretty ideal for access to mountains AND all that Atlanta has to offer. Knoxville, Asheville, and other hilly areas are also nice but the riding season gets shorter as you move further north or up in elevation.

Let us know what you decide!

Well if you want long riding seasons, cheap cost of living and lots of riding areas, Oklahoma offers more than mot people know. South East area is beautiful for riding in winding hills and of course you have route 66 for the more historic rides. Is is among the cheapest areas in the country. Of course it is not Arizona, Florida or southern california but your said cheap. Just an idea. I myself will not retire in Oklahoma as I am more of a 4 seasons person like where I grew up. Good luck with your quest.

Crazy Frog

I checked out the find your spot and it has me in Missippippi or Lousiana or Little Rock. Not really where I want to go. I was looking more to the southwest. The site is kind of interesting. I just wondered if anyone out there lives in the southwest and how they like it?

Otter

I am from Michigan so we have about the same climate. I have traveled extensively for business over the last 35 years and have been to just about all the states and several foreign countries. Although I am fed up with winter about now and wish it were over, I think I would always like to be in a place with 4 seasons. To far north and winter is to long. To far south and summer is to hot. In my opinion, Asheville North Carolina is the nicest area in the continental US. Short mild winter and a long mild summer. Lots of nice riding in the mountains.

come on down south!! its warm winters and hot summers, better to been born here to cope with the summer heat, it'll hit 103 + in summers with 100% humidity.
the winters are mild at most, this year has been a rare one, seen 8 degrees low . never seen it that low before. , it never snows here, if it does it's .0352 of a inch.
rains every so often , most of time we have short fall on rain.

the heat here is different than dry heat. the 100% humidity will kill .

but it's a easy going life.

Central Coast of California. Cooler than the L.A. area and warmer than the S.F. area. Year-round riding. Mild temperatures. Great riding roads. Humidity usually between 40 and 50. Lots of retired military in my town (Lompoc, CA) who have been posted around the world and come here for the climate.

Of course, as others have pointed out, you would have to put up with one of the most dysfunctional state governments in the country.

Back