free website stats program Rear tire life | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire life

On a 1995 Kawasaki Michelin frt, Dunlop rear. On my 1999 Nomad had Bridgestone front Dunlop rear. It seems as if frt and rear did not track equally to the point like something was wrong with bike. After installing same brand and type of tire the ride quality was very good and even. The ride quality was still good even after changing rear Dunlop and still riding on the worn frt Dunlop. You know the 2 rear to 1 front scenario on cruisers. So with the experience I have had on 2 different bikes that is why I made my suggestion.
Almost like if you had snows on your front wheel drive car and all seasons on rear you can tell its just not right. Hope this helps.

I have pushed the avons in the rain and have been very impressed with the road feedback I get with them.

Thanks Don. I think the next time around I may give the Avon's a try. Right now I am using a set of Metzeler 880's and really like them very much. My only concern was all recalls,"blow outs" and "chunks of rubber" coming off these tires. Metzeler has responded to the claims but I still feel uneasy. So far I love the tires,, really handle Great,, I just can't accept all the problems/claims I read and heard about.

There was a Great thread awhile back about a member here that had a Metzeler rear tire that came apart. He received a Ton of Great info, but he never responded as to what the outcome was.

Let's face it, a motorcycle tire does not have an easy life...the drive system is such that power to the wheel is continuous based on how steady a throttle hand, suspension jounce and steering radius when the bike is leaned over and all that stuff happens in real time as the friction, tire patch size and side wall flex varies from road irregularities and conditions...

It is not like a car where the weight is fairly evenly distributed, the differential absorbing what little scrubbing effect occurs when turning (it goes into heat in the gearset oil), and tire patch size varies a lot less, sidewall stiffness and rubber compounds can be geared more towards mileage. To expect 3 or 4 times better mileage in a car is one of the big things a motorcycle rider notices right away...pretty sad huh...and the cost of tire...twice as much as a comparable cage OR MORE!

I wonder where all the TONS of powered rubber goes. You would think you would see it on the edges of the road after a rain. With all of the thousands of tires going down the highways, you would think you would see some powered rubber somewhere but you never do.
I bet Glider would know where all the powered rubber goes.:p

I got about 12,500 on my original tire and looking slick but still rides fine with no fishtailing. mostly ride 1 up but 2 more on the weekends.

The thing that I dislike most about the Dunlop Elite 3 tires is that the tread doesn't wrap around to the center of the tire, so when you look at the tire the center is smooth bare rubber but if you look at the tread there is still a feww thousand more left. I usually use 2 rear tires a season so I want as many miles as possilbe.
ken

I only know that I had a few thousand miles left on my rear tire when it was dammaged without my knowing during a long trip. The next 70 miles to home on the low tire took the remaining tread completely off. I was lucky it did not come apart. This tells me that proper inflation must have a lot to do with it. Unfortunately I have seen just as much disagreement on this subject.

You'll get no disagreemant from me on proper inflation. Too high or too low make a world of difference in the handling and the wear. 1 or 2 lbs doesn't sound like much but it sure makes a difference in the way my bikes handles. There is also a world of difference with the pressure too low when riding two up.

Back