free website stats program Rear tire life | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire life

I got 10,000 on my heritage rear and still had another 3-5 on the front but replaced them both because I wanted the wide white wall.

Just wondering what average rear tire life should be on a Fat Boy. My son's 09 has 8700 miles on it and she is pretty much bald. He is a very conservative rider and thought he should have gotten quite a few more miles out of it. Thanks. :bigsmiley29:

Been asked a bunch. Check these out:

Front tire wear?? - Harley Davidson Community
Tires - Harley Davidson Community
tire wear - Harley Davidson Community
Tire wear - Harley Davidson Community
Tire wear - Harley Davidson Community
Uneven Tyre wear? - Harley Davidson Community
Uneven tire wear - Harley Davidson Community
Front and rear tire wear - Harley Davidson Community
Tyre Wear - Harley Davidson Community
Rear Tire Split - Dunlop - Harley Davidson Community

That is not all of them, but may be enough to answer the question!!

TQ

Last edited:
He rides solo and it is the original tire on the bike. It just seemed to me that it was pretty poor mileage out of a new dunlop on a new bike. I appreciate all the replies from everyone. I guess next question is, stick with the OEM tire, or what would be a good choice for replacement. I have the craftsman lift and we are going to remove the wheel and I can get tires from Dennis Kirk in a day, so what would be a good choice for replacement that might last a bit longer? Thanks again.

Ask 10 people, get 10 answers. Just my opinion but you need to ask yourself one question. Do you want a good dry traction tire that lasts a long time or a good wet traction tire. (I will give you a hint. The answer can not be both):)

In my earlier post I refered to the fact that I use Avon Venom on the FLSTC, I also use them on the 05FLTRI. I get decent milage out of them and they have a sport profile. I think the bikes corner easier and feel lighter using them.

I have had poor ride quality with 2 different brands of tires on bike. I would replace rear with same tire then when both wore out go to a different brand.

Don, How were the Avon Venom in the wet? Did you ever have to push them hard in the wet?

I know there are many different ways to look at motorcycle tires and many different ways to look at motorcycles and their riders. People I ride with have tried several different brands from the major manuf. and some have said that they can't tell the difference between brands. That being said most have ridden my RG and say they can feel how the bike responds to the road better on the RG as say their RK. I have pushed the avons in the rain and have been very impressed with the road feedback I get with them. I cannot tell you that they won't break loose if pushed past their limits (which I haven't found yet) but the grip is great wet or dry. I have been reading about the dual compound tires that have come out recently and I'm intrigued by the way they have harder compounds in the middle for wear and softer compounds on the edge for grip. I don't want to ramble too much but I feel that tires are the most important factor in motorcycling. Do I push my bikes? I have about 3/8" of "chicken strips" on the FLSTC and about the same on the FLTRI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had poor ride quality with 2 different brands of tires on bike. I would replace rear with same tire then when both wore out go to a different brand.

Can you tell us which brands and what effect they had on ride quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering what average rear tire life should be on a Fat Boy. My son's 09 has 8700 miles on it and she is pretty much bald. He is a very conservative rider and thought he should have gotten quite a few more miles out of it. Thanks. :bigsmiley29:

I agree with most quotes, depends on your style of driving, air pressure, two or one up. I ride an 01 Glyde, and have ranged from 5400 miles to 11,000 miles on the rear tire. I rode alot of two up and I do believe the composite of one of my Dulaps just was not up to par. But I could be mistaken. My two cents. 37,000 miles and 3rd front, and 5th rear.??? Go figure. I recommend keep a check on tire pressure.

Back