free website stats program Rear Braking Problem | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Braking Problem

Hi All: It's been awhile since I've been on the site but I'm still interested in the rear brake problem. What I experience is when cold the rear brakes work fine but as they heat up it takes more pressure to keep them from slipping. For instance, where I live in NY we have quite a few hills both large and small. We also have quite a few stop lights & stop signs. When cold I can hold the trike on an incline with moderate pressure on the brake pedal but as I use them more and they heat up similar inclines cause the bike to roll forward or back and I either have to use the front brake or stand on the rear brake pedal more. I don't have any squeaking problems but I'm wondering if some of the other explanations may apply. :worthy

Sounds like 'Organic' pads. Once they get hot, they don't work well. Hopefully someone has a "Semi-metallic' pad available; they are a little rough on the rotor compared to organic pads. Do you have 'Brake Dust' on the rear wheels? The trike really needs larger rotors and I'm sure an aftermarket brake company may be working on a set to be offered in the near future.

Attachments

• tbrake_system_2-b.png
    tbrake_system_2-b.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 18
  • tbrake_system-b.png
    tbrake_system-b.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 16
Sounds like 'Organic' pads. Once they get hot, they don't work well. Hopefully someone has a "Semi-metallic' pad available; they are a little rough on the rotor compared to organic pads. Do you have 'Brake Dust' on the rear wheels? The trike really needs larger rotors and I'm sure an aftermarket brake company may be working on a set to be offered in the near future.
Yes Trike Lady I do have brake dust on the rear wheels but not an inordinate amount. Wipe the wheels with a rag and you certainly pick it up.

Right again, Trike Lady and thanks for the links. When I need rear brakes I'll probably upgrade.

Yes Trike Lady I do have brake dust on the rear wheels but not an inordinate amount. Wipe the wheels with a rag and you certainly pick it up.

Right again, Trike Lady and thanks for the links. When I need rear brakes I'll probably upgrade.

Though my brake disc is in the middle. if I in-fact had discs out at the wheels. I too would probably notice brake dust on my rims. Except for the fact that I made these inside wheel covers to reflect the mags to look like more spokes for my trike set-up. However these inside shields I made, will prevent brake dust from accumulating on the outside surface of the mags.

rear_wheel_set-up.jpg

zoood

Except for the fact that I made these inside wheel covers to reflect the mags to look like more spokes for my trike set-up. However these inside shields I made, will prevent brake dust from accumulating on the outside surface of the mags.

Someday, somehow, I have to see your ride close up. The effort you put into the detail seems incredible.

Someday, somehow, I have to see your ride close up. The effort you put into the detail seems incredible.

thank you for that. I found that not skimping on detail makes a world of difference. Give you an idea. Take my deflectors for instance. The studded or jeweled styles. On the jeweled type, in comparison to the black jeweled style studding you find on some Road King seats. Their spacing from center to center of the studs is 1.125 or 1 & 1/8 inch. I make my spacing on my deflectors the same. This little attention to detail makes my product look like it was made at the Mo Co's factory.

zoood

Though my brake disc is in the middle. if I in-fact had discs out at the wheels. I too would probably notice brake dust on my rims. Except for the fact that I made these inside wheel covers to reflect the mags to look like more spokes for my trike set-up. However these inside shields I made, will prevent brake dust from accumulating on the outside surface of the mags.

rear_wheel_set-up.jpg

zoood
Those shields are gorgeous. Do you do outside work? :worthy

Those shields are gorgeous. Do you do outside work? :worthy

Thank you! Also I do have a template here for a Tri-Glide wheel and bolt pattern. So yes I do make em for yours as well. That is the initial plan. In the future I'll have them up for sale. Its just on hold for now till I generate an enough moola to order the metal. The metal is a flawless mirror polished SS. Its a special order through a company here in the USA that purchases the SS from Japan. Yeah I know,... imported. But the bottom line is the SS is flawless, meaning I havent seen any US quality match this metal.

I havent had to polish my backing plates since I put them on. I just pressure wash them when pressure washing the underside of the trike.

Here's another product I've made for our trikes and touring models that utilizes the mirror polished SS. Bike Shades

zoood

Zoood, I checked out your shades earlier when I saw your Trike build on your site. They are neat but I don't have those passing lights on my Street Glide. But I will be interested in the plates when you're ready. Moola, Moola need a lot when you own a Harley.

If I'm not mistaken,... your in Florida. Ive a few places to ride to down there. In the future, we'll hook up.

zoood/RJ

Back