free website stats program Question about 883 to 1200 upgrade | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about 883 to 1200 upgrade

I just ordered all the SE parts to convert my sporty to a 1200 can't wait to have the work done, and see what the difference will be:small3d023:

if i do a se 1200 kit do i need to buy se gaskets or head bolt because of the increased compression? and do i heed to get a power commander to make the bike run properly if i use the se 1200 kit and have the dealer install it on my 07 883

A month after the 1200 re-bore and I finally got to take her out this afternoon during a few hours of rare sunshine.
I found a quiet road, got 'er into 3rd gear and went from 30 to 60 and throttle off back down to 30mph ten times to seat the rings nicely. After that I just rode the roads for a while, not like I stole it, but just a really enjoyable reunion ride after a month and half of Harley in the Garage.
The acceleration is definitely faster and the grunt is stronger. I'm looking forward to blasting it once I have a few more miles on her. I sense a good spring and summer ahead. Taking her out for a good long ride next week with Hobbit so I'll report back after that on how she performs. I've got the sissy bar and rack to put on on my day off this week and I'll post a few pics then.
:D

I hope you enjoyed your ride my road still frozen all the way to the main road so im a wee bit jelous that you can get out for a wee bit of riding

Brian

I put a 4.5 gallon tank off of a softtail on my sporty looks great and can go further, I love it! I beleive what you were talking about with the belt pulley is actually the drive pulley on the tranny. Alot of guys around here change it to lower rpms at highway speeds. The 883 is geared different than the 1200, and by putting a larger pulley on the tranny it gets it closer to a stock 1200. I say leave it, rpm at highway speed will be the same as it was before but, if you run the drag strip against a stock 1200 you will smoke him. Have fun and happy rideing!

:lolrolling Black tank and black oil filter are all I need to go faster - I'll save the money on the 1200 conversion :D.

A bigger tank on the Sporty would be nice to give some extra mileage but I'm not sure how it would affect the look of the bike :6:

Bigger tank from '05 883C works, works on my '04 1200R, the 4.5 gal tank means more riding time, and fits with of course a change in the seat for 883C or 1200C '05 later, appropriate seat change (fender already drilled for either, the nut kit $5 USD for either solo or two-up...get plastic HD logo plug to cover hole if solo; tank is bit "fuller", rounder and bit wider than "Peanut tank" but it looks good, your choice:

Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
My sportster came with a 7 litre peanut tank range about 70 miles i put on a fatbob tank gives me almost 15 litres and a range of about 150 miles which is much better for journey planning so i dont have to divert just to get petrol

Brian

If i consider the 883<>1200 conversion..should i also think about crankshaft? or both engins have the same one?

And do i need to change also heads? as in most of the cases conversion kit comes just with cilinders, pistons, gaskets...

If i consider the 883<>1200 conversion..should i also think about crankshaft? or both engins have the same one?

And do i need to change also heads? as in most of the cases conversion kit comes just with cilinders, pistons, gaskets...

When I did My 883 to 1200 conversion...
I Just did the cyl's and 1200 pistons leaving the rest alone..

I wanted Low End Torque..... for the Least $$ spent..

I used the Wiesco 10.5/1 1200 pistons (a bit much on compression tho!)

hind-sight :: I would of used 10.0/1 for the lack in availability to get Good Gas today (octane 95 needed)

Refreshing the valve grind and other than that ,, used the 883 heads.. THEY develop a LOT of torque... so I kept them stock..

Jetting the carb and SE slip-ons with SE air.....

Believe me when I got it back together and 30/60/30 the new rings into break-in,,,,What a BEAST!

I had a 2005 883 the would WHIP any stock big bike and then some......

very Quick....

signed....BUBBIE

When I did My 883 to 1200 conversion...
I Just did the cyl's and 1200 pistons leaving the rest alone..

I wanted Low End Torque..... for the Least $$ spent..

I used the Wiesco 10.5/1 1200 pistons (a bit much on compression tho!)

hind-sight :: I would of used 10.0/1 for the lack in availability to get Good Gas today (octane 95 needed)

Refreshing the valve grind and other than that ,, used the 883 heads.. THEY develop a LOT of torque... so I kept them stock..

Jetting the carb and SE slip-ons with SE air.....

Believe me when I got it back together and 30/60/30 the new rings into break-in,,,,What a BEAST!

I had a 2005 883 the would WHIP any stock big bike and then some......

very Quick....

signed....BUBBIE

Its amazing how good the smaller valves flow:s

Back