free website stats program Question about 883 to 1200 upgrade | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about 883 to 1200 upgrade

I had 2 sportsters at one time and when one went it went with 2 tanks one stock and one larger tank the 7 litres of the 94 peanut tank didnt get far so i put a fatbob tank on it thats when i learnt about doing tank linings and how to use filler properly as it was a new tank and needed a lot attention prior to painting and fitting
and i have 2 tanks for my current sportster both are about 14 l and on long trips esily get 160 miles without a refill but usually stop about 100 miles anyway
ive got 2 tanks for the softail the second is still a work in progress had some big dents in it so wife took it to work one of the mechanics is going to pull the dents for me then ill sort the rest out myself this one should be esier as its the third one ill have done once its painted black then the softail will go faster

Brian

:lolrolling Black tank and black oil filter are all I need to go faster - I'll save the money on the 1200 conversion :D.

A bigger tank on the Sporty would be nice to give some extra mileage but I'm not sure how it would affect the look of the bike :6:

You need to look at other bikes that have been modified and see which bits look good to you there are a few different ones out there to look at

Brian

cedarbrook you know your next graduation is a touring model. Save the money you were going to spend on upgrades and buy one!!:D

I may have failed to mention Steve that I don't plan on getting rid of the Sporty when I get my bigger bike :D, I love to ride that bike and just maybe one of these days I'll convince my beloved to take up the noble art so we'll need two:s. I actually got her out 2up last Sunday for the first time and she did very well!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as Steve! I see a bigger bike in the future. :s

Thanks for that compliment Hobbit! You're a real Sporty fan so you can see where I'm coming from. The Sporty is like one of the family - I'd feel really bad if I signed the adoption papers and it went to a rotten home :s.

Mind you - you are all correct - the Road King is a very tastey prospect. It's quite a few ££££ away and the upgrade of the Sporty to something meatier is worth the financial set back to the RK fund IMO. :D

I may have failed to mention Steve that I don't plan on getting rid of the Sporty when I get my bigger bike :D, I love to ride that bike and just maybe one of these days I'll convince my beloved to take up the noble art so we'll need two:s. I actually got her out 2up last Sunday for the first time and she did very well!

Glad you got her on the bike and did well. Remember the post when you introduced the possiblility, it is definately one of the high points when riding, is having a partner to share the joy with. :bigsmiley11:

Cedarbrook, like Hobbit said I have also looked longingly at an RK, but my gal pokes me in the ribs everytime, taking me away from the siren song...when I bring up..."--one is enough...":swoon Yep, a work in progress...

Well, the 883 went into the back of the big Harley van this morning. The driver and I had to dig the snow off the drive to get the garage door open and make a track to ride her up the ramp into the van. Really great bunch of guys at our local dealership.

In a few days she'll be 1200cc of torquey pleasure :D:D.

I can't wait to get out on the road once all this snow and salt are gone.

I'm having her delivered back to me on the van so that will make the 30-60-30x10 in 3rd break in routine much easier to do as I live in a quieter part of town with less traffic than around the dealership.

Remember and do the break in procedure once you get it back
snow has been melting here all week havent had to use the shovel to get the car moving since monday but temp just dropped tonight road is like an ice rink

Brian

Drive safe then Brian - I saw a poor lad this morning with the left side of his Gladius all bent up from a drop on ice. I offered to drive him to work but he had the cavalry on its way. Total ice rink! I'm hoping for a good drop of rain to wash the salt and slush away by the weekend as I want to take my rat bike for a good blast to keep it running and it's been sitting under a cover since Christmas. I need it for my airport run next week.

As I mentioned in my post - I'll be doing the break in on my Sporty first thing when I take her out. I hope they don't run the engine much when they've re-assembled everything. I want to get those rings well seated in under compression!!

Back