free website stats program Primary Oil Leak | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Oil Leak

Hi.
Thanks for the reply and advice.
I haven't taken of the primary assembly yet but I know it has to be done. The part that scares me is ( check the clearance between the IPB race and that seal) Without opening up the primary its hard to visualize .Is there a u tube video on that procedure? Also I thought I would order a inner primary bearing and seal kit from ebay (item 311380457593)and was wondering if the starter would have a bearing and a seal that need replacing but Im not sure what search to do on ebay for it.
thanks again for any pointers or comments. All the best Leon

Hi.
Thanks for the reply and advice.
I haven't taken of the primary assembly yet but I know it has to be done. The part that scares me is ( check the clearance between the IPB race and that seal) Without opening up the primary its hard to visualize .Is there a u tube video on that procedure? Also I thought I would order a inner primary bearing and seal kit from ebay (item 311380457593)and was wondering if the starter would have a bearing and a seal that need replacing but Im not sure what search to do on ebay for it.
thanks again for any pointers or comments. All the best Leon

HD91FLHT069.gif

Look here #21 should be your starter shaft seal H D part # 12053

Hi.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I haven't taken of the primary assembly yet but I know it has to be done. The part that scares me is ( check the clearance between the IPB race and that seal) Without opening up the primary its hard to visualize .Is there a u tube video on that procedure? Also I thought I would order a inner primary bearing and seal kit from ebay (item 311380457593)and was wondering if the starter would have a bearing and a seal that need replacing but Im not sure what search to do on ebay for it. thanks again for any pointers or comments. All the best Leon

No worries on checking the clearance between the IPB race and the main shaft 5th gear seal; it is obvious once exposed. See the attached photo of a race being installed. It's not fully in place but you get the idea.

Don't know what IPB race and seal kit you are considering purchasing on Ebay but suggest that you stick with OEM parts. Also suggest that you replace every seal behind the trans pulley while you are in there; main shaft/5th gear seal, quad seal and spacer. Also replace the inner primary bearing and seal. Make sure when installing the bearing retaining ring that you do not cover up the lubrication hole in the case.:s

Attachments

• mainshaf_5thgearsealleak.jpg
    mainshaf_5thgearsealleak.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IPBoilfeed.jpg
    IPBoilfeed.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 25
Hi and thanks again .
Im looking on ebay for the quad seal and spacer. Is this it ?

Harley-Davidson-Transmission-Main
Shaft-Spacer-and-Seal-Kit-5-speed-444 (item number 150835293599-)
all the best Leon

Hi and thanks again. Im looking on ebay for the quad seal and spacer. Is this it? Harley-Davidson-Transmission-Main
Shaft-Spacer-and-Seal-Kit-5-speed-444 (item number 150835293599-)
all the best Leon

Dunno, can't tell from the picture but can tell that it does not include everything you should be replacing. I strongly suggest that you replace the parts with OEM parts. Here is what you need.

Inner Primary Bearing 9135
IPB Seal 12052
IPB Race 34091-85
Derby Cover O-ring 25416-84
Jackshaft Seal 12053
Primary Cover Gasket 60539-89
Quad Seal 11165
Main Shaft Seal 12050
Sprocket Spacer 33334-85

You can purchase all these parts from an online discount dealer for about $80, plus shipping.

thanks for taking the time with those part numbers.
:)

any on line dealers you recommend? I notice a few have closed down. Had a reply from one that will not supply the smaller stuff.
cheers:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kutter HD, free shipping 99.00 and more orders and no tax:s
All H D OEM parts

You will need a tool to lock the primary so that you can undo an tighten the compensator nut and the clutch nut
You will also need a special tool to remove and refit the inner bearing race from the mainshaft and a special tool for the front pulley nut
Threaded bar and some large washers along with suitable sized sockets can be used to remove and refit the inner primary bearing a gas torch or hot air gun will be useful to heat the compensator and clutch hub nuts to loosen the Loctite and also to heat the inner primary to expand the metal around the bearing for easier removal and fitting and some freezer bags to put the new bearings in prior to fitting wife gets a wee bit grumpy when she finds bearings in the freezer even when they are in bags

Brian

Ps you will also need a bi directional torque wrench for the reverse thread nuts most clicker torque wrenches will act as a ratchet in reverse but not click when the appropriate torque is applied my torque wrench has a push through square drive so that it can measure torque in either direction

Last edited:
Back