free website stats program Primary Oil Leak | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Oil Leak

I would guess that the mainshaft oil seal is the culprate here if there is oil leaking from the mainshaft oil seal the primary side of the front pully will have oil on it and may actually puddle on the pulley

Brian

I would guess that the mainshaft oil seal is the culprate here if there is oil leaking from the mainshaft oil seal the primary side of the front pully will have oil on it and may actually puddle on the pulley

Brian
I already replaced that seal

Sorry i took it from your previous post that it was the maindrive seal quad seal and spacer that you had replaced didnt realise you had done the mainshaft seal as well

Brian

Sorry i took it from your previous post that it was the maindrive seal quad seal and spacer that you had replaced didnt realise you had done the mainshaft seal as well

Brian

you are correct, my bad. i have now removed the race but cannot get the mainshaft out to get to that seal

easiest way to pull the seal is to drill a small hole in the metal part and screw a self tapping screw into the hole and use the claw end of a hammer or crowbar to pull on the seal and it should pop out use a plank of wood against the pulley to leaver the hammer/crowbar against
use a length of abs/plastic pipe of the correct size to drive the seal into place
ensure that you give the mainshaft a good clean in the area that the seal sits or the new one will have a reduced life

Brian

Hi I haven't posted before and was looking for a solution when I came across this forum. I also have a leak which travels down the back of the primary case and then on to the primary sump bolt.This makes it look like its the sump plug that's leaking. Anyway I drained the primary and once I did that there was no more leak. So does anyone have any idea what seal is leaking? Appreciate any comments.
Nearly forgot I have a heritage softail classic 1992
All the best Leon

If the leak was occurring when the bike was on the side stand and it was primary oil then I would suspect that the leak is from one of the lower inner primary to gearbox bolts
I use hylomar on the underside of the bolt head and on the lock washers to keep the bolt holes oil tight

Brian

Hi I haven't posted before and was looking for a solution when I came across this forum. I also have a leak which travels down the back of the primary case and then on to the primary sump bolt.This makes it look like its the sump plug that's leaking. Anyway I drained the primary and once I did that there was no more leak. So does anyone have any idea what seal is leaking? Appreciate any comments.
Nearly forgot I have a heritage softail classic 1992
All the best Leon

That could be blowing or wicking back, have a look under your starter motor

Hi I haven't posted before and was looking for a solution when I came across this forum. I also have a leak which travels down the back of the primary case and then on to the primary sump bolt.This makes it look like its the sump plug that's leaking. Anyway I drained the primary and once I did that there was no more leak. So does anyone have any idea what seal is leaking? Appreciate any comments. Nearly forgot I have a heritage softail classic 1992. All the best Leon

You are going to have to pull the inner primary to replace the inner primary bearing seal; if that is the source of the leak. Once you have removed the inner primary, you will be able to see for sure that the leak is primary fluid and not trans fluid. These leaks are trick and a close inspection of everything exposed by removal of the inner primary should be made.

The IPB race can walk in on the main shaft/5th gear seal and cause a trans fluid leak that can exhibit as an IPB seal leak, so you should check the clearance between the IPB race and that seal. If there is no clearance, you should replace the IPB race, main shaft/5th gear seal, quad seal and spacer.

If there is about .100"-.125" clearance between the IPB race and the main shaft/5th gear seal; you dodged that bullet and replacing the IPB seal should solve your problem. You should replace the inner primary bearing as well.

Using Hylomar as fin_676 suggested is necessary. I forgot which year but I believe the service manual for your bike also instructs to use Hylomar or silicone at the bolt bosses between inner primary and case behind the clutch; not necessary at the front bolts. I do know that the 2002 service manual instructs not to use sealant there but get the service manual for you bike and check.

I can't tell you how many times I have come to the aid of friends who thought they had a leak fixed only to find out after the first ride after the repair that the leak was still there. Take your time and make sure you have pin pointed the leak so you don't have to go back in again.:s

Back