free website stats program Primary noise | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Booker2010,

I would get it back and run it for quite a few miles and then listing all the while.. If it is worse it should show up..

Keep an eye on the Lubes and good hunting for the problem.. Sometimes problems like these wear a patience Patients.. or is it the other way around?:(

signed....BUBBIE

You have called it to the attention of the service department at the dealership. They have determined that all is OK. Once I do that and the bike is still under warranty I feel that is all that is necessary to protect yourself. I would ride that bad boy like I stole it. If something blows it was because they either misdiagnosed it or were just stupid. Either way, they will fix it on their nickle. You have to remember these engines are not very modern. The technology they use is ancient. I mean a 45 degree crankshaft with a single pin? Nobody but Harley uses this configuration and the only reason they use it is because it makes a very characteristic exhaust note..."potato-potato-potato". They are noisy and we are sitting right on top of the engine so we are going to hear all that heavy metal whirring and spinning around like crazy. I had mine up close to 6000 rpm once and I thought it was going to come unwrapped and take off my nether regions. It didn't though. I don't recommend that at all with these twin cam motors but the guys who have the metrics with their super sophisticated engine combos hit 10,000-12,000-15,000 rpms all day long, all day long. They are relatively quiet too with their DOHC and what.

Booker.

I had a problem like yours on my 2011Ultra Limited with 587 miles strange noises coming from the gearbox/primary area especially in 2-3-4 and then a very loud rattle in neutral.My dealer pulled it down and could not find anything wrong. They call the factory and they shipped out a complete cassette and they installed it. It is one of the smoothest shifting and quietest Harley gear boxes i have owned. I was told that they have been having some spotty problems with the updated 6 speeds.You might ask you service writers to look in to it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

ol bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok got my bike back Friday and rattles like crazy in neutral.So I took it home rode it till engine temps were ok and then made two back to back hole shots and low and behold noise is gone.I rode again yesterday and still no problem but wow what a difference the new compensator made.All the noise I originally took it in for is gone other than hearing the primary chain the bike is quite for a Harley anyway.Thinking about upgrading to a 106 ci anyone with any experiences doing this.

olbill what is a complete cassette?

Booker It is the complete gear set with out the main case even the shift drum the have to pull down the whole primary and clutch and compensator pull the right cover off . and remove the whole thing leaving the case only.I have put approx. 600 mile on the new box and it is a sweet hart . The tech left a few things loose but i guess that is why you all way's check over your machine.

olbill

Thinking about upgrading to a 106 ci anyone with any experiences doing this.

After all the back and forth to the dealership you have been through,,,and now that all the noise is Finally Gone,,,and after you Like the feel of the SE compensator,,, you now want to take it all apart and make it a 106.??

You wouldn't be related to my X wife would you? :D

Hoople good one lol

It was actually just a senior moment when I thought about a 106 ci.

Back