free website stats program Primary noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Yes I have tried the 30 mph breaking with no improvement.I did not try compensator but will check into that.I had thought the spectro 75-140 but didn't know if it was too heavy.Thanks for all the help.

Use the correct oil if you try a much thicker oil you will get so much clutch drag your bike will be unusable

Brian

Yes compression down on engine for adjustment.Thanks for correcting me on primary case oil.I have been back to dealer and they now believe it to be the compensator and are going to pull it apart.I will buy a se compensator to put back whether it's bad or not.

Yes compression down on engine for adjustment.Thanks for correcting me on primary case oil.I have been back to dealer and they now believe it to be the compensator and are going to pull it apart.I will buy a se compensator to put back whether it's bad or not.

Good move putting in the SE while apart.. Wonder how long My 09 FLHR may last (stock). working good after 18,000 miles.

Please get back here with Your results... Many will be waiting to Hear about the FIX...

signed....BUBBIE

The dealer is going to change out the compensator and I am purhasing a se compensator to replace it.It must be a common thing as the compensators are on backorder.

Ok I have an update on primary noise and so far no good.I paid for new compensator and after they installed it made no difference.As of now they have put new clutch basket ,new primary chain,new tensioner and still no change.They are still on the phone with tech this morning and all are still baffled.Now I hear about all the bad dealers but these guys are at my dealer are really a super bunch of guys.I'll post as the saga continues.

Lets back up. Did you own the bike from when it was new. If so, at what mileage did this noise start to happen.

Yes I bought it new with 12 miles on the clock.The bike was a little noisey from the start but being new I thought it would break in and settle down.Well it kept getting louder and I complained at 1000 miles and was told primary chain and was normal.Louder at 2000 miles and Harley rep still says normal and that's when I paid to change compensator and now they realize there is a problem.The bike now has 2200 miles.

Just so we have a solid foundation on this problem,,

1) The noise has gotten louder from when you first purchased this bike. That is without question, the noise has gotten louder.

2) Have you ridden any other bikes to absolutely confirm that what you hear is abnormal. When I say "any other bikes", I mean post 2007 twin cam 96 engines.

If the answer to Both questions is YES then the next step I would take is to remove the oil sending unit and install my own quality oil pressure gauge and measure the oil pressure when the engine is HOT at both idle and 2500 RPM.

I don't care what the oil light does and I do not care what the built in gauge says. Install a quality gauge and measure the oil pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to the questions are all yes.I just came from my dealer and I will pick the bike up later today.The noise they are now hearing is when bike is in neutral and clutch is out only .I have not heard this noise since it has been torn apart when I was there and it is not where the noise was when I took it in .Now all the service people say they have never heard this noise on any newer bikes but Harley would not go any farther since they had replaced everything in the primary.They gave me a reference number if I wanted to call Harley myself since they could go no farther so when I get the bike back I'll make that decision.BTW Harley did say it was normal for newer bikes and that it came off the shaft of the transmission.

Back