free website stats program Primary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Hey guys ,new to forum but not to riding.I have a 2010 ultra with 2200 miles with stage1 complete with dyno and tts tune and the bike runs fine.The problem is noise HD tells me is primary and don't know whether to believe them or not.The noise is loud enough to hear at 65 mph with 3/4 helmet on.The noise seems to get louder the more miles I add and it sounds like a valve flutter to me .My dealer couldn,t hear noise so rep came buy to ride it and stated it was primary noise and nothing could be done it would adjust itself.I have mobil v twin, spectro primary and spectro six speed lubes installed.I guess my question is how do I tell that's where the noise is or any way to make it better. I've done all the things to make the self adjuster change to no avail. Thanks for all the help.

Find another dealer, it should not be that noisey, IMO

If the Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment works and the noise comes back in afew miles, Change the compensator sprocket to the screaming eagle one. I have same bike as you and at 2500 miles had the same problem.
Changed the compensator and sounds great. Listen HD knows the old style is no good. They put the Screaming eagle unit as a stock item in the 2011's

you will also get noise from a loose compensating sprocket, i have come across a few bikes that this is the issue, loosening and re torquing to spec will often fix it

Yes I have tried the 30 mph breaking with no improvement.I did not try compensator but will check into that.I had thought the spectro 75-140 but didn't know if it was too heavy.Thanks for all the help.

Yes I have tried the 30 mph breaking with no improvement.I did not try compensator but will check into that.I had thought the spectro 75-140 but didn't know if it was too heavy.Thanks for all the help.

Just to make sure,,,,,, Are you allowing the motor to compression Down.... Meaning the clutch is NOT pulled in??? While performing the "HELP" for adjustment..

COMPRESSION of motor to tranny Tightens the chain (top), causing loose under side so the adjuster can pull it (ratchet) to Proper tension...

signed....BUBBIE

I would not advise putting the 75W-140 gear lube (Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic Transmission/Gear Oil or Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil) in the primary. They make a fit-for-purpose product to be used there (Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil). This is an 85wt lube oil.

TQ

Back