• ATF

Votes: 47 4.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 22 1.9%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 98 8.3%

• Total voters
Mobil 1 0W20.
Read about this on another HD site. Made sense instead of ATF.
So... dropped out thick Formula+ and put in the 0W20 oil.
Started bike, didn't even let idle down, pull in clutch, put in first gear, click!
No clank, no clunk, no bike shaking when going into gear. I know what some will say...clutch will slip.
Took bike out, stop, rev engine let clutch out hard, no slip, spin tire.
From stop in second gear, rev engine, let clutch out hard, engine chugged alittle, no slip.
Rolling, first to third, about 10 MPH, rev engine, let clutchout hard, no slip.
So...the way I ride, not hard, this is the best upgrade yet!!! Bike now sounds like it should for a $18,000 motorcycle.
Time will tell, but I don't see any problems since so many have been using ATF with no problems.
wilks3:D

That is not gonna be a great oil for the compensator, which, IMO, needs some sort of EP additive.

It really is a very harsh application.

Was following advice of Dealer with Syn 3 in all holes on my 2010 Ultra Limited with 103. Just got back from Sturgis on Saturday and while riding back & passing cars hard on a hill, I noticed some slippage. I now have 32k miles on her and just did my own service and used HD F+ in primary. Hoping that will cure the problem. I am wondering however, by changing to Dino from Syn in primary will this help clear the Syn out & aid in better clutch traction with the HD F+?

You don't want to use anything with an EP (extreme pressure) additive in a wet clutch application it will cause the clutch to slip. You can generally use any motorcycle "engine" oil that will carry the JASO MA2 or ISO L-EMA2 frictional categories. HD's Forumula + is another good choice.

Formula + is a good choice. It is, as I recall, close to a GL1 gear oil. Old school stuff and ok.

I use gear lube, no slipping noted, 2 up and running from bad dog, smoking up and down 211 out of Luray etc.

I was somewhat concerned, but I got most of the after market folks to send me specs ans used those as a basis too.

Plus, the clutch, does it really run wet, or just splashed?

I dunno

Changes my Formula + today, price is up 1 dollar over last year

Back