Votes: 175 14.7%
  • ATF

Votes: 47 4.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 22 1.9%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 98 8.3%

• Total voters
There sure is a lot of information on here about Lubrication.. I've read on here and asked around for years, I still think it might be easier to discuss politics or religion. :D
The jury's still out here at my place on whats best to use, but I sure enjoy this site and appreciate all the info. Its getting warm and its time to change out my oil but I still haven't decided what i'm going to use yet this time around. Keep posting.. I'm reading

Brad

I wish I had found this forum before my first oil(s) change in my 03 Super Glide. I went with Mobil 1 10w/40 4 stroke motorcycle oil in the primary. I haven't noticed any problems with clutch slippage, I think the bottle said something about being brewed with wet clutches in mind.

Last edited:
I wish I had found this forum before my first oil(s) change in my 03 Super Glide. I went with Mobil 1 10w/40 4 stroke motorcycle oil in the primary. I haven't noticed any problems with clutch slippage, I think the bottle said something about being brewed with wet clutches in mind.

Next change put non synthetic oil in the primary. The problems with slippage usually start with more miles on the clutch when it is a bit worn.

Thanks, I'll probably take your advise. I was a bit confused as to the brand and now that I have access to the bottle I see it is Valvoline full synthetic motorcycle oil 10W-40 that I used. From the jug," Superior Wet Clutch Protection" and "Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer & smooth shifting" Then there's this from the Valvoline website, "Valvoline does not offer a synthetic motorcycle oil that meets the API specs SF/SG/SJ or the JASO MA specifications for wet-clutch applications." Curious eh? I changed oils because I didn't know when it had last been done. I've no doubt the Primary and tranny were overdue. I'll be sure to switch next time to non synth for the primary.

It's the best way to go despite the controversy over synthetic in the primary. Synthetic oils are known for the slippery qualities and in the clutch area, you really don't want slippery, just a lubricating oil for cooling and lubrication. Keep the slippery oils in the engine and trans where they are needed.

ATF. I change it once/year, which is never more than 5k miles. Always comes out nice 'n red - not the brown look of an old TH350!

I once read that the primary duty of the lube in a primary case isn't as a lube but it's in there to cool (as much as it is to lube). Excessively 'slippery' oils decrease cluth plate lockup capabilities (aka, they slip). I also read that in the heat monster that is a VTwin, this oil resevoir is also a heat sink (FWIW). Have used both syn and conventional ATF, but usually conventional. Seems as quiet as anything and I've run it on stock bikes and those with some engine work (with an SE spring and a VTC hat). Clutch lockup is always good, hot or cold.

Back