free website stats program Prescription Sunglasses | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prescription Sunglasses

Re: Prescription Riding Glasses

One of my kids works at Lens Crafters and I get perscription Ray Ban sun glasses that hug your face. No wind gets thru and I don"t have a problem seeing out the side at all. Sure they are pretty expensive but you get what you pay for.

I am not a eye Doctor but something can't be right with the glasses...It has something to do with base curve of the lens's. I am guessing your prescription is stronger than +3.00 and some lens get distorted because of the curve.

Jerry

The wife and I both wear prescription glasses. We went to Wally World last year and got a pair of riding glasses.
Mine were crystal clear and the wifes were like you discribed. Carried hers back a few times and then she talked to her reg eye dr. and he told her it was because the lenses wrapped around like they do. He told her to wear them an hour the first couple of days then increase wearing them 30 min at a time. She can now wear them 4-5 hours without to much trouble.
She still prefers to wear her contacts though.

JB4530; definitely gotta be something w/the lens curvature, or somehow Wally messed up your prescription. I looked for riding lenses & ended up getting a set of Bolle sunglasses w/prescription lenses & they work great. You might want to shop around & see if there's something similar b/c most sunglasses frames can be made into prescription eyewear. I had to get something with "curve" to fit under my full face helmet & the Bolle set doesn't distort vision at all. Also recommend you go w/the "polarized" lense so there's no reverse glare which might also be part of the problem. Good Luck!

I had the same problem. I went to wearing a good pair of goggles. I've got a windshield so I'm not to worried about bugs. Rock's that's different. Most regular riding glasses aren't going to give you that protection.

Got a pair of wrap arounds at Lenscrafters with special wrap around prescription that was suppose to take care of the side vision as well. Never could keep them on for more than a few minutes. Like looking through fish bowl lens. Took them back for a full refund.

Mine are curved lenses and progressives... no problems what so ever.

$500+ for the glasses and lens (includes the "transitions" to adjust for light to dark).

The prescription is placed on the lenses based on what is called the "mark-up" while on your face. If the technician wasn't knowledgeable; or simply incompetent; then your "mark-up" could have been done wrong -- causing the "prescription-portion" of your lenses to be in the wrong place when you wear the glasses high on your nose where you like them.

I would insist on my money back... and go to a different place with more skilled technicians.

Have you thought of Grampy Glasses (Fitovers)? I had written them off for the perception mentioned, but when I looked for full coverage prescription glasses for riding I noticed that many of the "stylish" models looked very similar to the ones popular in wrinkle city. I picked up a couple of pair for $40.00 and they work great over my prescription frames.

This is a little off topic but I had all the problems mentioned then a year ago had laser eye surgery. What a difference, now I can wear all those cool sunglasses that the rest of the non optically challenged can wear. Best money I ever spent.

No line bifocals have this issue for a lot of people, I can not wear them. Guess it's a good thing I'm not vain about wearing line bifocals, cause that's the only thing that works for me. Like the photographer told me, "If you want a better picture, bring a better face." :D

Back