free website stats program Portland pile up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Portland pile up

A Couple of local guys were in that, and the latest I got today is that the Lady that caused the wreck was cited.
The story I got was she swerved into their lane and locked up the tires.

Looks like conflicting stories; as is to be expected. Anyone seen a news link verifying if the driver is known or not? One poster here say "he" did not stop while another says "she" was cited. Unless someone knows the facts, they should not post. I hope all involved heal up and are OK.

Looks like conflicting stories; as is to be expected. Anyone seen a news link verifying if the driver is known or not? One poster here say "he" did not stop while another says "she" was cited. Unless someone knows the facts, they should not post. I hope all involved heal up and are OK.
I SAID THE STORY "I GOT" I never said it as a fact....But I did get the "story from a friend who is a co-worker of a person who was involved, so that's what I'm going with.
By the way not everything get put on the news.:s I doubt if there will be any more in the media about this, it's not a breaking story anymore.

A Couple of local guys were in that, and the latest I got today is that the Lady that caused the wreck was cited.
The story I got was she swerved into their lane and locked up the tires.

I apologize for the confusion.
I got that info about the driver not stopping from a very reliable source that is close to the club.
It was wrong.

wildspirit97 is right. I talked to the President last night and the fact is the lady driving the SUV was going to miss her exit from three lanes over, inside lane and swerved to the right to try and make the exit.
She almost hit a vehicle in the middle lane and then swerved back into the inside lane and hit her brakes causing the pile-up.
She was still at the scene when the police arrived. They are not sure if any citation was written.

Last night I went to the BS M/C open house with the Oregon ABATE, SE Chapter to deliver a check from our Downed Rider Fund.
In our by-laws this fund is limited to $250 per payout and the members voted on Sunday to change the by-laws to a one time increase of $800.
They also passed the hat and collected another $100 !
This was presented to the BS M/C last night.

The medical bills are piling up for injured members and the two members that are in intensive care are facing huge bills.

Anyone interested in sending any money to the club to help off set these expenses can do so by sending a check or money order to the Brother Speed M/C Clubhouse at:

Brother Speed M/C
2800 SE 92nd
Portland OR.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Wolfdaddy,
Thanks for the update. It is nice to know this was not deliberate or road rage. It helps for some reason, at least in my mind.

I'm confused. The page says that the Road Captain and the leader of the pack, who were both leading the ride, were able to avoid the SUV's. So if the lead bikes were able to avoid the SUV's, then why did the other 26 motorcycles "not stand a chance" of avoiding the SUV's. Just wondering.

I live about 10 miles from the crash site. The story I was hearing within a few hours of the accident was pretty much the same as related in the link.

That the first 2 riders managed to avoid the cages.

I'm speculating:

The link relates how the leaders were able to "counter-steer" and avoid a collision.

I'm guessing that the following bikes did not all hit the SUV(s) but ran into each other and/or off the roadway.

If they were traveling in a tight pack at 70mph, it would have been tough for them to react fast enough to completely escape the situation.

There's a limited amount of unoccupied space available for evasion. In that particular environment the space gets used up real fast I imagine.

UPDATE!

Man Dies From Injuries Sustained In I-5 Wreck - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back