free website stats program Portland pile up | Harley Davidson Forums

Portland pile up

There have been many threads on here by relatively new riders asking about group rides. Here was what I'm assuming was a large group of experienced riders and look what happened. Everyone knows the rules about staggering and safe following distances but it's so easy to get complacent and close up the formation to look cooler or have more fun. Then all it takes is one little incident to trigger this sort of tragedy that affects the whole group.

Really have to wonder about the SUV slamming on his brakes, as the witness stated. Did he feel harassed by the bikers and this was his retaliation? Were the bikes following way too close? The witness said they were all doing around 70MPH! Even a motorcycle takes a good while to stop from that speed.

Wow...tough to watch and knowing so many involved. 20 to 28 bikes is a lot...70 mph and light traffic, clear weather...then SUV hits the brakes...! Got to ask why, think about lead motorcyclist(s) responsibility and following distance. Quite a lot to think about: countermeasures, prevention, what was done right, what was done wrong before during and afterwards...

One witness says SUV hit brakes hard in free flowing 70 MPH traffic. Makes you wonder if the SUV was trying to be a jerk. If so I feel sorry for the driver.......... a MC will not take that lightly, nor should they IMO.

One witness says SUV hit brakes hard in free flowing 70 MPH traffic. Makes you wonder if the SUV was trying to be a jerk. If so I feel sorry for the driver.......... a MC will not take that lightly, nor should they IMO.

That's what I was thinking - there's lots of legitimate reasons to hit your brakes at 70 MPH but aggravating a MC riding your butt is not one of them.

It does sound like the SUV driver had a case of road rage listening to that report and a couple others that you can find online now.
The other disturbing thing coming out from witness reports is that they were riding two wide in tight formation right on the bumper of the SUV.

Man, if thats the case it just stinks. The driver will be in jail if any fatalities result. Probably the safest place for him. They should be riding in proper formation and off the tail of a cage, but still no reason for the cage to do something this stupid.

On another note, I had to work hard on this post not using any words to get my hand slapped! I guess the mods did their job on me!

Terrible accident. People don't realize what one seemingly small thing like hitting your brakes can cause. I admit it sounds a little fishy but it's something we'll probably never know.

Back