free website stats program Pins on Vests | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pins on Vests

What's Your Philosophy on Pins on Leather Vests?

• Leather vests look great anyway - don't ruin them with pins!

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Only add pins from places you have actually been on your bike.

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • It's just for fun - put as many darn pins on it as you want.

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered about the pins & patches. Are the patches hard to sew on the leather?

I'm sure you have to have a special machine or needle. I had a couple put on at a motorcycle show here in Atlanta a few months ago. There's always a few ladies who will sew on patches at these shows. There was even one at a local dealer one time on the weekend for some event I can't recall right now.

I wondered about the pins & patches. Are the patches hard to sew on the leather?

Yep. The older Singers,( circa 1950) can do it with the right needles but newer machines generally won't take it. Any leather repair place can do it for you, and often there are people that do that sort of thing at bigger motorcycle events.

I've been with a group that only wanted to see the "colors" of the club, and nothing else on the vest, except military or veteran or MIA type buttons and/or patches.

Then I have ridden with guys who had all kinds of stuff all over their jacket or vest.

One guy wore so much his nickname was indeed "Pin"!

Lately, I don't wear any paraphernalia on my plain black leather jacket, as my vest has been, let's say, "retired".

I still have my "HOG" vest, although I haven't been to a chapter meeting in a long time so I don't know if it's appropriate to wear that, and I have a bunch of pins on it. I also have another leather jacket that has a Harley patch on the rear, (The huge kind that takes up most of the back), and a couple smaller patches on the front, but I don't wear that much as I simply prefer the other jacket I wear most of the time anyway for fit and comfort and protection.

Have I answered in a confusing enough fashion?? :D

Do you ever do it any other way? :s :D

My wife got me a nice vest for my Birthday this past December and i have several pins but I just haven't been able to bring my self to poke holes in the vest.

I was the same, I would lay the vest down and position the pins the way I wanted, than put them back in the drawer. Took about 4 times till I finaly pushed the first pin in.

I've got a bunch of pins floating around, not just Harley related pins. I cut the sleeves out of an old Lee denim jacket and started pinning them on.
There are a bunch that I inherited from my Grandmother, great uncles military and other assorted stuff.
I've still got pins from my stint in the Marines as well. Might as well stick them on something!
I don't know if I'd pin up a nice leather vest.

CLINT once a Marine always a Marine. Wear it with pride you earned it.

You are right Smitty. Thank you!

I dug this pic up, that's me on the right from 1978
clintinmarines

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but there are some 'pins' in the pic! :D

Last edited:
Love the starch in that dress, for some reason I always felt stract as heck.(well not really the word but I think you soldiers know what I mean). Looking good Clint!Years gone by hey?

No pins, no patches, no vest...but that's just me.

Ditto.

If you've got lots of pins, here's an idea; glue them on the bike as extra bling. I've seen a couple of guys around here do that. One was on an old BMW The other was on a softtail. Really makes for a unique bike with "character".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back