free website stats program Passing lamps wiring | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Passing lamps wiring

Did you have item #2 on page 3 of the PDF? If you did then there should of been a mate to it your fairing.They both should have the Yellow wire already in them.Plug & Play type thing.If you don't have the mate then yes you will have to tie into the Yellow wire on the head light connector
tourbox

Ok so now I am confused to all you know what....

I pulled the lower fairing nacelle off and repositioned the aux light switch to the left side where it should be.

After looking at the pdf file that was posted the schematic says yellow wire coming from the switch. Looking at my switch in the position the yellow wire is supposed to be at there is an orange wire, I am going to assume this represents the yellow wire?

That being said if it does represent the yellow wire then why wouldnt these lights work. There is a yellow wire at the headlights and it is routed through the harness into all the plugs. The yellow wire stops at the plug that is attached to the aux light switch and turns orange with a purple stripe on it. Why would they change the color schematic when it clearly shows yellow and mine is orange?

I have tested all lights and they work Blinkers, parking lights....the passing lights do not work still, I have tested both with new wires running straight from the battery and they light up. I have tried the passing lights just running a power wire to them to make sure the ground is working and they both light up. But when in the wire harnes all wired up they dont...Im at a loss for words, I am not an electrician by no means. But I can read the wire schematic easily and understand it. I just dont know why my wire is orange and not yellow. hmm more later.

I too am confused. Realizing yours is an'09 SG which I don't have a manual for,I compared the schematics for a '07 & '12 Touring to see if wire colors changed. They did not. According to the schematic the o/v is off the Cruise switch and goes to pin 4 on the connector from fairing cap (item 1 in the PDF). Your Yellow wire should be on pin 6 of that connector. Take a 12v test light and check your yellow wire from the head light at the fairing cap connector. There it should light your tester with the key on, low beam on. Next place the tester on pin 7 on fairing cap connector.With you Spot light switch turned On it should lite you tester.Turn the spot switch Off and the test light should go Off. Look at your connector plugged into the harness connector and make sure the colors stay the same.There are 2 changes,Pin 4 goes O/V to O/W and pin 12 goes BK/GN to BK. The yellow wire from the headlight Y's, one side goes to your fairing cap connector and the other side goes to the Hi/Low beam switch on the handle bars. You may not be able to see the Y connection, it could be hidden in the plastic conduit. Keep plugging away at it you'll get it.
tourbox

You're going about this the hard way, inside your fairing on the support brakets there are two black plugs (one on either side ) those are the factory plugs for spot lamps . Your bike should have an idle plug under the switch nacelle to hook up a spot lamp switch. Do yourself a favor and obtain an elctrical manual for your bike it would be bad if you melted your wireing harness. :s

Ok so everything is wired correctly and I have followed all instruction.

Lights still dont work. Blinkers and parking lamps work..

wiring is exactly as the pdf file schematic shows.

I noticed a plug under my seat do I need to do anything whith this plug?

Other than that I am at a loss for words as to why this does not work at all.

Hog,

thanks, i have used the plugs exactly as it should be. Parking lamps work fine and so does the blinkers. The spots do not for some reason. This I dont understand, I hard tested lights from battery and they work, but when in the wire harness they dont work at all. Im guessing the switch is no good becuase they whould work the wire harness is made for these lights and I should not have to do any alternate wiring to get these to work correct?

I understand that your lights work outside the harness but have you tested for Voltage at the connector for the switch on the fairing cap? Either with a test light or Volt meter.
tourbox

Hog,

thanks, i have used the plugs exactly as it should be. Parking lamps work fine and so does the blinkers. The spots do not for some reason. This I dont understand, I hard tested lights from battery and they work, but when in the wire harness they dont work at all. Im guessing the switch is no good becuase they whould work the wire harness is made for these lights and I should not have to do any alternate wiring to get these to work correct?

Do you have a tester? I'd check for current at the plugs and switch then go from there.

Ok so here it is....after a while of trying to figure this out....I traced all the wires...

Come to find out there is a special light switch that works perfectly with these lights.....

Not and AUX or ACC switch....It is a SPOT switch...wires match and you just slide the wires right into the existing wire harness plug...

Jesus im suprised nobody in this forum could answer these questions.

Re: Passing Lamp Aiming

Jesus im suprised nobody in this forum could answer these questions.

Right off the bat (post#2) Breeze3at answered your question back in October?

Welcome to the forum. To do it properly, you need the "spot" rocker switch that goes in the left side of the ign. housing (do S.G.'s have the cutouts?). The spot/driving lamps will plug into the switch, and the switch plugs into the wiring harness.

Back