free website stats program P0152 - Rear Oxygen Sensor High | Harley Davidson Forums

P0152 - Rear Oxygen Sensor High

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
A little background first. Rode down to Daytona last Thursday. Everything was fine. Even noticed I got around 50 MPG out of one tank of constant highway droning.

Friday, riding back to the hotel from Destination Daytona I thought the bike sounded slightly different but it seemed to ride the same. After stopping, my wife even commented that it sounded a little different to her.

Returning home on Sunday, my mileage dropped into the mid to high 30's for several consecutive tanks.

Got in from work this morning, washed the road trip grime off the bike and decided to check for DTC's. I'm getting a P0152 - Rear Oxygen Sensor High. Also getting a 61008 under the SP module but I can't find what that is.

Searching this forum leads me to believe I have a faulty sensor or bad wiring to the sensor. Does this diagnosis match my symptoms? Anyone know what the 61008 is? Bike is still under warranty but is this something easy for me to do if it's a bad sensor?

Thanks!!

easy to change the 02 sensor sure but cost of it$$

Is the SP # the part # of the speedo ?

Is the SP # the part # of the speedo ?

I don't have any idea. Did a search for "61008" on the HD website and came up with nothing. Same at the Zanotti site. Google search was fruitless.

I guess I'm more concerned with the other one. Other than the rotten gas mileage, will it hurt anything to ride the bike with this code present?

nope just gonna get real poor gas milage and possibly foul the plug on that cylinder

I found a B1008 in the speedo section of the manual.

Trip Odometer Reset Switch Closed
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1008 will be set if trip odometer
reset switch terminals are in a constant shorted state.

Clear codes using speedometer self diagnostics.
See Section 4.6 SPEEDOMETER SELF DIAGNOSTICS.
Confirm proper operation with no check engine lamp.

GENERAL
The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing
speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM/HFSM, ABS and ECM
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) (diagnostic mode).
DIAGNOSTICS
Diagnostic Tips
• For a quick check of speedometer function, a "WOW" test
can be performed. Press and hold trip odometer reset
switch then turn Ignition Switch to IGNITION. Background
lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should
sweep its full range of motion, and indicator lamps (sixth
gear, check engine, low fuel, battery, security, cruise
enabled, pursuit, and ABS) should illuminate. Some lamps,
like the cruise enabled lamp, may illuminate even if the
vehicle is not equipped with cruise control. See Figure 4-8.
• If speedometer fails "WOW" test, check for battery, ground,
ignition, trip odometer reset switch and accessory wiring
to speedometer. If any feature in the speedometer is nonfunctional,
see 2.2 INITIAL DIAGNOSTIC CHECK:
SPEEDOMETER.
Diagnostic Notes
Each reference number below correlates to a circled number
on the flow chart(s).
1. To exit diagnostic mode, turn Ignition Switch OFF.
2. To clear DTCs for the selected module:
a. Press and hold the trip odometer reset switch for more
than 5 seconds to display available modules, release.
b. Press the trip odometer reset switch to choose
module.
c. Press and hold the trip odometer reset switch for more
than 5 seconds to display the DTC, release.
d. Press and hold the trip odometer reset switch for more
than 5 seconds to clear DTC(s) for the module
selected.

Hope this helps, You rode through a lot of rain this past weekend.
It was sure good to see you guy's at Biketoberfest.

Later
Lancer

I found a B1008 in the speedo section of the manual.

Trip Odometer Reset Switch Closed
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1008 will be set if trip odometer
reset switch terminals are in a constant shorted state.

Hope this helps, You rode through a lot of rain this past weekend.
It was sure good to see you guy's at Biketoberfest.

Later
Lancer

Dude, you're a genius! I now remember having a hard time resetting the trip odometer at the first fill up after our rain encounter. Had to really press the switch emphatically several times to get it to function properly. Must have been temporarily shorted out with moisture. I'll reset that one and focus my attention on the oxygen sensor.

Great seeing you guys too. Wish we could have done more than have breakfast together though.

Went out this morning and cleared all the codes (both of them I should say), started and ran the bike for about 2 minutes, and rechecked the codes. All areas are clear now - no codes. According to what I printed out from the Self Help section, this means it was a historical code and no longer exists.

Question - is the Oxygen Sensor High code something that you have to run the bike for quite a while for it to show up? Like take it out and ride it for a while. Or should it have thrown a code right away if the condition is still there?

I was thinking I'd take it for a ride for an hour or so this afternoon and check my mileage again and then check the rear plug for fouling as well.

Thought of another question - if it's a historical code, meaning a temporary condition, why was my mileage so low the entire ride home Sunday? Does the code being present affect the operation of the bike, even if the condition causing the code no longer exists? Guess I'll answer that one when I ride today.

I’ve had a P0152 code set this summer. I recall researching and requires certain engine temperature/load and riding conditions, and figured that would be a low probability of re-occurrence; hot afternoon, riding 2-up, congested traffic to 1 lane in construction area, taking 3 light changes to make a left-hand turn. I’ve not cleared the code, assuming re-occurrences would populate more P0152 codes. Would that be true? If so, then it has not happened again, 2600 miles later.
From the 07 FLHR manual: [A P0132 (front) or P0152 (rear) is set when the ECM detects an excessively rich condition for a specified length of time. Codes may also set if O2 sensor fails.]

Went out this morning and cleared all the codes (both of them I should say), started and ran the bike for about 2 minutes, and rechecked the codes. All areas are clear now - no codes. According to what I printed out from the Self Help section, this means it was a historical code and no longer exists.

Question - is the Oxygen Sensor High code something that you have to run the bike for quite a while for it to show up? Like take it out and ride it for a while. Or should it have thrown a code right away if the condition is still there?

I was thinking I'd take it for a ride for an hour or so this afternoon and check my mileage again and then check the rear plug for fouling as well.

Thought of another question - if it's a historical code, meaning a temporary condition, why was my mileage so low the entire ride home Sunday? Does the code being present affect the operation of the bike, even if the condition causing the code no longer exists? Guess I'll answer that one when I ride today.

So what ya find out? Did ya get the ride in and did the code reset? Was your millage any better and what did you plug look like? Sorry just curious. :33:

Back