free website stats program oil test done! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil test done!

Silicon can be an additive in the oil to start with, but if the oil didn't have it to start with, the main source for finding silicon in a sample (on an air cooled engine) would be from ingested sand.

On water-cooled engines with antifreeze, coolant getting into the oil would be a source.
I am sending in an unused sample of oil to get a baseline measurement. It's possible that the oil & additive I use contains a high amount to start with. That would be ok. But if my baseline is 2 PPM and the other 12 PPM are coming from sand & dirt through my air cleaner, that needs to be fixed.

I'm sure you know what happens if left uncorrected..:)

Hoople, I think you have open up a new can of worms here! I myself also run a K&N air filter that in the back of my mind often wonder if it would filter 100% of contaminants. I have cleaned and reoiled the K&N air filter and held it up to the sunlight and could see tiny holes in the filter itself, thinking some contaminants could get pass the air filter. Also I could see what looked dirt in the throat of the air intake. I know a lot of bikers run the K&N air filter because of more air flow. But if it lets sand particles thru then I don't need it!:(

Received my report and silicon was higher than I would like it to be. I am using a K&N air filter with a pre-filter bonnet. Going to send off a virgin sample of the oil I use with additive to see if the oil happens to have that amount of silicon from the get-go. You had 9 PPM in oil that was used for 2500 miles. I had 14 PPM with 2000 miles on the sample oil. That's not good.

Are you using the stock air cleaner/filter? I never really did believe K&N's principals (vibrating fibers) behind how a filter designed like that could really trap particles.

I use a k&N stage 1.

thats good that you are sending off a baseline sample. it would prove a lot and rule out all speculation. let us know.

Let me say that us guys that been using K&N filters on our Hot Rods (car) have know about the extra dirt problems like Sand for a long time with the K&N filters and that is why you will see a "sock" type cover over the filter on some of the Cars and Trucks at car shows. Expecially the ones with outside exposed filters !!:s

ok i figured out how to cut out my personal information. here you go hoople

oilsample_zpsac4fc4d1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

How did you edit the text from the .pdf? I'll post mine if I can figure out how to scratch it out....

How did you edit the text from the .pdf? I'll post mine if I can figure out how to scratch it out....

I copied and paste the file to Microsoft paint. it shows up just like a picture. then i just used the block paint brush feature on "black" color and covered up all my info. then i saved the file and put it back into my photo album as a picture. then i just upload the picture into HDtalking. hope this helps.

Yep, that worked. Here are my results from last oil change.

Attachments

• Oil Sample Test.jpg
    Oil Sample Test.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 38
Which 20w-50 is that. Would you have a part number because I think they make a couple.
Your also running a K&N?

Hoop, The M1 is the 20w-50 V-Twin. I inherited a "Big Sucker" AC. Not sure how the element stacks up with the K&N. Probably not a lot different. Lots of sand around here to be sucked in the AC. I'm betting your sample comes back with high silicon in the product....Unless you have used a sealant that is in constant contact with the oil....

Back