free website stats program oil test done! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil test done!

I only changed the oil that early because i had a lot of short trips on it. I haven't put many miles on this year and it was a feel good thing to prove to me that I could go longer than 2500 miles with the type of riding i was doing. the 5000 mile recommendation is all depending on your riding habits. yes my oil looks dark at 2500 miles than new but this report said that its fine to go longer. in the past when i was putting miles on the bike I changed the oil more at the 5000 mile mark. hope this helps

10-4. I knew I was missing something.

I agree with Bodeen "You ride you decide". I think Amsoil is good oil I used to use it myself I now run Redline. I run 3K change the filter run 3k (6k total) and change oil and filter. I don't do many short runs so my oil get up to temp without the condensation problems short runs can cause.

Got the sample kit and sent off my sample today. I am using a synthetic blend. Just hope they don't say the engine is terminal.:)

thats what worried me, but i figured if the engine is toast its going to do it anyways wether or not i knew ahead of time. it will probably be fine. let us know what you find

Received my report and silicon was higher than I would like it to be. I am using a K&N air filter with a pre-filter bonnet. Going to send off a virgin sample of the oil I use with additive to see if the oil happens to have that amount of silicon from the get-go. You had 9 PPM in oil that was used for 2500 miles. I had 14 PPM with 2000 miles on the sample oil. That's not good.

Are you using the stock air cleaner/filter? I never really did believe K&N's principals (vibrating fibers) behind how a filter designed like that could really trap particles.

Received my report and silicon was higher than I would like it to be. I am using a K&N air filter with a pre-filter bonnet. Going to send off a virgin sample of the oil I use with additive to see if the oil happens to have that amount of silicon from the get-go. You had 9 PPM in oil that was used for 2500 miles. I had 14 PPM with 2000 miles on the sample oil. That's not good.

Are you using the stock air cleaner/filter? I never really did believe K&N's principals (vibrating fibers) behind how a filter designed like that could really trap particles.

Can you educate me a little here? What would a high amount of silicon be a concern? What steps would you take to correct it? What could happen if left uncorrected?

Thank You,
Ferrous

What would a high amount of silicon be a concern? What steps would you take to correct it? What could happen if left uncorrected?

Silicon can be an additive in the oil to start with, but if the oil didn't have it to start with, the main source for finding silicon in a sample (on an air cooled engine) would be from ingested sand.

On water-cooled engines with antifreeze, coolant getting into the oil would be a source.
I am sending in an unused sample of oil to get a baseline measurement. It's possible that the oil & additive I use contains a high amount to start with. That would be ok. But if my baseline is 2 PPM and the other 12 PPM are coming from sand & dirt through my air cleaner, that needs to be fixed.

I'm sure you know what happens if left uncorrected..:)

I'll be looking for your report. I too run a K&N air filter and with what is known as Florida Fines in the sand here, it will be something if the air filter is not doing the job. Florida Fines are what wear out the bearings in lawn equipment.

Silicon can be an additive in the oil to start with, but if the oil didn't have it to start with, the main source for finding silicon in a sample (on an air cooled engine) would be from ingested sand.

On water-cooled engines with antifreeze, coolant getting into the oil would be a source.
I am sending in an unused sample of oil to get a baseline measurement. It's possible that the oil & additive I use contains a high amount to start with. That would be ok. But if my baseline is 2 PPM and the other 12 PPM are coming from sand & dirt through my air cleaner, that needs to be fixed.

I'm sure you know what happens if left uncorrected..:)

Didn't even cross my mind that a high silicon content could be from sand. Of course... that makes perfect sense!

I'm also running a K&N filter like you and HDDON, so I'll be looking forward to your results also.

Cheers!
Ferrous

Back