free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge Installation | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless that's Celsius, Martin must live at the North Pole. My engine oil temp guage regularly saw 250+ while stuck on Junction Ave-Sturgis or Main St.-Daytona. Pretty normal for a high compression/high HP motor, but 90degs??? That's less than ambient temp here in FL right now.

You must have missed posts 9 through 12 where we already discussed this.

Update to what MrDad2U posted. I just returned from the dealer and he printed off the four page instruction sheet for me for the current "Fairing Mount Two-Inch Oil Temperature Gauge." They do provide the adapter fitting with the kit BUT it has no part number and is not sold seperately for folks like me that want to move the temperature sending unit from the previous adapter into the oil pan location. Requires a trip to an auto parts store or hardware store to get what's listed as "Adapter fitting, 3/8 NPT external - 1/8 NPT internal thread."

Also the wiring harness on the old kit was manufactured to reach the oil filter adapter location and not the oil pan location. The new kit has a longer wiring harness and is routed differently up into the fairing. It is part number 70285-04A and can be purchased seperately.

Oops - update to the update. Just exchanged emails with Zanotti's and they say that HD no longer sells the wiring harness as a seperate item. Only available as part of the kit, just like the adapter fitting. Looks like I'll be making a few more phone calls to verify this.

OK - I just got off the phone with Earl Small HD in Marietta and the parts guy I talked to confirmed what I got from Zanotti's - wiring harness is now only sold as part of the kit, not seperately. He even claimed to have checked the HD computer and said there were no more individual wiring harnesses for sale anywhere in the US!

I have the screaming eagle spun aluminum oil temp gauge in my 08 Ultra. The sending unit for this temp gauge comes right off the oil filter bracket not off the oil pan. Did they change this?? Mine was put on in Jan of 08 when I changed all of my black faced gauges to the spun aluminum

I have the screaming eagle spun aluminum oil temp gauge in my 08 Ultra. The sending unit for this temp gauge comes right off the oil filter bracket not off the oil pan. Did they change this?? Mine was put on in Jan of 08 when I changed all of my black faced gauges to the spun aluminum

Yep - as evidenced by the new part number for this kit ending with "A." There is no longer an adapter between the oil filter bracket and the oil filter. Sending unit goes into the oil pan and included wiring harness routes up the right side frame into the fairing.

Yep - as evidenced by the new part number for this kit ending with "A." There is no longer an adapter between the oil filter bracket and the oil filter. Sending unit goes into the oil pan and included wiring harness routes up the right side frame into the fairing.

So did this change accomplish anything different?? Was there some problems that caused the change? So far the only problem I have had is that if I ride in a rain storm the gauge goes dead, then 10 min later after the rain quits it running just fine again.

So did this change accomplish anything different?? Was there some problems that caused the change? So far the only problem I have had is that if I ride in a rain storm the gauge goes dead, then 10 min later after the rain quits it running just fine again.

My theory is that they had enough complaints about the adapter that they decided to eliminate it. It just added one more potential location for a leak, which I am currently experiencing. If I had done some more research, I would have discovered that, despite what the HD instructions said, the adapter was not necessary. just would have had to head to the hardware store to get the appropriate NPT fitting and the temp sending unit would have gone right into the oil pan. Live and learn!

One thing I'm curious about is where the oil cooler will be "plumbed" in now that you don't have to use the adapter.

My theory is that they had enough complaints about the adapter that they decided to eliminate it. It just added one more potential location for a leak, which I am currently experiencing. If I had done some more research, I would have discovered that, despite what the HD instructions said, the adapter was not necessary. just would have had to head to the hardware store to get the appropriate NPT fitting and the temp sending unit would have gone right into the oil pan. Live and learn!

One thing I'm curious about is where the oil cooler will be "plumbed" in now that you don't have to use the adapter.

Well now that you mentioned it, mine did leak when it was first installed, but another 1/4 turn on the sending unit took care of that.

Now I don't have an oil cooler and I don't want one either, but I thought there was an adapter that comes with the kit which goes on where the oil filter goes which has the fittings for the lines?? then the filter goes onto that adapter which brings it out about a 1/2 further than stock??

Well now that you mentioned it, mine did leak when it was first installed, but another 1/4 turn on the sending unit took care of that.

Now I don't have an oil cooler and I don't want one either, but I thought there was an adapter that comes with the kit which goes on where the oil filter goes which has the fittings for the lines?? then the filter goes onto that adapter which brings it out about a 1/2 further than stock??

Correct - the adapter has 2 "prongs." One is where the temperature sending unit for the oil temp gauge screws in. The other is for use if you install an oil cooler. That's what the instructions stated for my 2008 FLHX. Now they're selling an updated oil temp gauge kit that doesn't use the adapter. I guess if you want to install an oil cooler, you still have to use the adapter. Who knows, wait a month or so and they'll probably change and update everything again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back