free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge Installation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
95*-100* oil temps just aren't normal. The average bike runs 200*-250* to be considered normal. I sure hope you aren't talking Fahrenheit here.

I think you solved the mystery Mr. Data. 100 degrees C is about 212 degree F so that puts him right in the normal range. I was about to throw out a post stating how amazed I was that the Softails ran so much cooler than the Touring bikes!

I think you solved the mystery Mr. Data. 100 degrees C is about 212 degree F so that puts him right in the normal range. I was about to throw out a post stating how amazed I was that the Softails ran so much cooler than the Touring bikes!

Yes I was talking Celcius :p

Thank you gentlemen, once again :)

The dip stick ones aren't worth having. The kit you want probably comes like you want. Check here as a starting point:

I bought the digital dipstick units 2 weeks ago for my 09 UC, I hope it last for a while. My brother bought one for his 06 EGC 3 years ago and it is still working OK.

Tim

I had my dealer install the HD temp guage and so far it seems to be working well. I noticed, however, that it is slightly tilted so that the 12 o'clock position is closer to 11.5. The dealer agreed to fix it, but they claimed that they would have to replace it as the mounting hardware did not have any variance and that it must be due to a manufacturing defect. Is this true, or can I just rotate it slightly myself instead of going back to the dealer?

I am thinking about doing this install and have a few questions to those with experience:

In order to install the temperature sensor, it appears to me that you had to remove the factory intstalled plug. But in the "oil changing" postings there was a note that this plug is installed with "red lok-tite".

My assumption was that to avoid cracking the aluminum housing and make the plug removal easy you have to heat the plug up.

Was it difficult to heat up the plug (to soften the lok-tite)?
What did you use? (heat gun? propane torch?

Thank you!

The red locktite is on the plug in the bottom of the engine sump, not the oil pan plug that you need to remove.

I just re ordered my specifically for my 08 SG. . . same face as the other guages and the Company changed install to route as above i.e. the oil drain plug (they provide the proper fitting to replace the plug) and you do not remove the tank. They reroute via the brake line and up then use the two wires from the air temp for power and a yellow sending unit wire. Much faster and easier install. . . perhaps they noticed this post 1st. I was ready to buy the 3/4mnp and 1/4fnp adapter when I found all the new set up. Thanks for the easy instructions.

I just re ordered my specifically for my 08 SG. . . same face as the other guages and the Company changed install to route as above i.e. the oil drain plug (they provide the proper fitting to replace the plug) and you do not remove the tank. They reroute via the brake line and up then use the two wires from the air temp for power and a yellow sending unit wire. Much faster and easier install. . . perhaps they noticed this post 1st. I was ready to buy the 3/4mnp and 1/4fnp adapter when I found all the new set up. Thanks for the easy instructions.

That settles it - I'm heading to the dealer soon to get the proper fitting and getting rid of the adapter that was "required" according to the official HD instructions when I had my gauge put on. Thanks for the update!

95*-100* oil temps just aren't normal. The average bike runs 200*-250* to be considered normal. I sure hope you aren't talking Fahrenheit here.
Unless that's Celsius, Martin must live at the North Pole. My engine oil temp guage regularly saw 250+ while stuck on Junction Ave-Sturgis or Main St.-Daytona. Pretty normal for a high compression/high HP motor, but 90degs??? That's less than ambient temp here in FL right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back