free website stats program Oil Temp Gauge Installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp Gauge Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
On the touring models, the air temp gauge which usually doesn't work properly can be switched to an oil temp gauge with minimal fuss.

One thing to point out when doing this installation, remember to disconnect the fuel line disconnect before lifting the tank or you break the plastic end on the fuel rail and that's $45 to replace.

It installs in the plug next to the oil drain in the pan like the pics below posted by "rocknrod" on this forum.

Removing the tank will making the wire run easier like pictured below.

The adapter is 3/8" MNPT-1/8" FNPT or 3/8" MNPT-1/4" FNPT depending on the sender you have. There's two different sizes as far as I know. Should be available in Home Depot or a good hardware store.

Some Gauge Wire info when installing the HD Oil Temp Gauge:
Gauge wires are
Orange = Pos
Black = Ground
Blue/V = Temp Signal

There is a bulb color sleeve on the gauge light bulb, make sure it matches yours (you can use the one off your old gauge)

The back of the New Temp Gauge prior to final install:

Non-working links and pictures removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had seen this one earlier. I bought the one from Harley, and it's much harder to install and doesn't work will either. It's reading about 20 to 30 degrees colder than it should.

I wish they made it in white face to match my gages in my SG.
Might just be using the electric oil filler one instead

Of course you have to add the cost of a installation kit that cost about $60 more which makes this about a $230 oil temp gage included new oil.
I wish they could go back to the analog dipstick ones instead like you can still use on the softails

Not sure what you mean. The kit I bought included everything I needed to install the replacement gauge in my UC dashboard except for the 4" tie-wraps I like to use. That is what these kits are intended for. Applications for other models would require different kits.

All up including the Government's take was under $150.

TQ

Of course you have to add the cost of a installation kit that cost about $60 more which makes this about a $230 oil temp gage included new oil.
I wish they could go back to the analog dipstick ones instead like you can still use on the softails

yeah, nice to have :)

a related question:

I was on a goat path of a road today, very slow riding for 25-30 minutes.
When we stopped, I noticed the oil temp had gone over 100 degrees,
up to 110.

Stopped the motor for 10 minutes, started up ok again,
then had a nice 5 minute downhill coast, at the end the temp was back down
to 90 degrees.

At what temperature can you start damaging the engine ?

The oil was changed this week, so its all new fluid in the engine,
if that helps. Also, my bike rarely goes over 95 degrees, even in Spanish summer.

Any opinons to kick in ?

95*-100* oil temps just aren't normal. The average bike runs 200*-250* to be considered normal. I sure hope you aren't talking Fahrenheit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back