free website stats program Oil Temp gauge and Oil Cooler | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp gauge and Oil Cooler

Took my bike out today after installing the oil temp gauge Thursday night. Outside temp in Austin,Texas today was around 65 degrees. My gauge showed oil temp between 180-185. Does that sound right ?

That seems a little cool, but I would believe it when temps are only 65 outside. It all depends on how long, how hard and how fast you were driving. On hot days it seems 240-270 are common. I think the goal is to keep it under 250, others here will say for sure. Guage is most likely correct. What does it read after the bike is completely cooled? Should be close to room temp.

Took my bike out today after installing the oil temp gauge Thursday night. Outside temp in Austin,Texas today was around 65 degrees. My gauge showed oil temp between 180-185. Does that sound right ?

I am down here in the Houston area, and going to work in the morning the air temp has been about 40*. I ride about 20 miles to work about 50/50 highway/surface streets. With air temps that cool, my temp is bearly getting up to 150/170* range by the time I get to work. Last Summer with temps close to the century mark, the temps were around 210*. If I spent time in stop-n-go, the temps could get up around 230*. I have the Jagg 10-row low mount oil cooler using the oil filter adapter with built in thermostat. I replaced the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge.

Your 185* sounds OK depending on what kind of riding you were doing.

TQ

That's exactly what I'm reading on mine. It may get up higher on the big road and when the temp gets a little higher. You could always have someone make you a cover for your oil cooler on the cold days. I used to have one on my old shovelhead FXE.

:)Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like my gauge is working propery. I did some highway riding with few stops. Speeds around 60 mph. Hardly any hills, so pretty easy ride on the engine.:)

I have an analog dipstick gauge on my deuce that I have had for most of a year. It seems to be holding up. I have heard that the LED gauges don't last but I have no experience with them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyflyin
I have an analog dipstick gauge on my deuce that I have had for most of a year. It seems to be holding up. I have heard that the LED gauges don't last but I have no experience with them myself.

You'll be sorry when you're battery goes dead! Have you figured out how to replace it yet?!?!

:p

Analog...digital????? No batteries in the analog unit.

Back