free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

I made the leap to synthetic oil -

I went with the 20w50 Amsoil and the Amsoil 75w-140 Severe Gear -
I went with Spectro HD Primary Smitty recommended here since Amsoil did not have specific primary fluid.

I changed out the filter with the recommeded HD filter -

What I noticed
- the engine "singer sewing machine" noise was greatly reduced
- the engine appeared to be cooler
- the clunk is almost gone
- shifting is Smoooooooooooth
- the tranny is a lot quieter

Glad I made the jump to synethic! Thanks for all the advice.

After reaading al comments, i just have one question
difference betwen (Spectro) heavy duty primary chain case oil and heavy duty gold primary (GPCL) ? better for sporster?
thanks for the info

The oil pours (acts) like 75 weight when cold and like 140 weight when hot. There are two specific temps they test at.

last question: dealer recommends oil and filter change @ 2500 intervals
is ithe same with syntetic oil?
Thanks for your help

If it's a synthetic choice you are talking about it's true as with any other synthetic oil in the primary. You didn't specify which Spectro product you were referring to if it was the synthetic or non synthetic.

That's not a synthetic oil. No reason for that to cause a problem with the clutch.

From the Spectro site...

Heavy Duty Primary Chain case Oil
This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag†and slipping.

Back