free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

I'm about to do my first oil change. Going with Mobile1 V-twin and HD Formula+ but having no luck finding Spectro Platinum. I've talked to the distributors and nobody carries it here. I don't mind ordering it if it's that much better. Anything else that you would recommend for a 5 speed that is more available?

You can go the redline shock proof heavy also. Another good choice. It's usually available in speed shops.

Even Mobil1 75/90 or 75/140 will be a decent choice over the syn 3 the dealers use.

I had to special order it. There Canadian Distibutor does not sell direct, but you can call them for a local shop to order it in for you:Full-Bore Marketing- Ontario
3225 Lenworth Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L4X 2G6
Canada
Phone: 905-624-0222
Fax: 905-624-3509

I hope this helps

I read it yesterday and will look for it tomorrow again and post the link. Although I plan on changing my trans fluid every 5k, I was kind of surprised when I read it.

Don't know if you missed this or not but here's the dealer locater for Spectro oils.

Dealer Locator - Spectro Oils of America

I have read this thread until I am blue in the face. I am in KS and can not get the Spectro oil right away. My bike will be done soon and I am going to follow your engine break in advice with the 30-60 MPH 10 times in 3rd gear. I can not remember who said it you or the web site you linked to, but said to change your oil in all 3 holes immediatly following. Since I can not get the Spectro what is your second choice for the tranny. Also any other advice on the engine break in other that what is stated? Thanks.

The engine oil and filter is the important one. the others can wait for a few hundred miles. I like to change them after some riding to remove any contaminants in the oil from factory manufacturing processes.

Redline shock proof in the trans or even Mobil 1 gear lube either weight based on the area/temps where you live.

Re: Oil Suggestions For Harleys (updated)

I have an 04 with a 5 speed what is the best lube for the transmisson. I just switched to Mobil V twin in all three locations. Next fluid change I'm going to put the Spectro HD in the primary and then ? in the tranny. Does the Spectro 6 speed work good in my 5 speed?

Thanks,

The spectro 6 speed CAN be used in a 5 speed but they also make one for the 5 speed too.
Also use a GEAR oil and not the V Twin in the trans. Best off not using a NON synthetic in the primary , try the Formula+ from the dealer in the primary.

Back