free website stats program Oil Suggestions For Harleys | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Suggestions For Harleys

did some checking on where to get the SPECTRO lubes here in E. Mo. and I called Randy atTRI-R Distr. in Unv. Park,ILL. (suburb of Chic.) and he said that Doc's HD in Kirkwood, Gail's HD in K.C.area,I believe it was called Worth's HD, and a couple of scooter repair shops in Rollaand a few others here in Missouri stock Spectro products. He also said if they do not have a authorized dealer close they would ship it directly to your house with no frght. charge. So I can either run down to Rolla or call Randy and have it shipped!!

Don't know if you missed this or not but here's the dealer locater for Spectro oils.

Dealer Locator - Spectro Oils of America

Glider --- Your web site is where I went to and it does not list any dealers for Missouri,Kansas but states to call Randy at TRI-R Distrb. to find out who is. Ken Ciocci,Spectro, told me to do the same thing (to call Randy). Thanks for the info. for this oil,Randy was very helpful. He said that he did not care if I bought Spectrofrom him or not-- just get that SYN 3 out of the tranny!!!:panic

Can 6 speed gear with a GL-5 rating be used in a 5 speed .
What lube do you recomend for 5 speed. HD has been putting their product in sence it was new. I want my 96 (45,00 mile)Fatboy to last forever :). I just like that bike.
I am researching the Spectro for use in my 07 RG. other than here and a few BMW sites seems hard to find info on it.

Can 6 speed gear with a GL-5 rating be used in a 5 speed .
What lube do you recomend for 5 speed. HD has been putting their product in sence it was new. I want my 96 (45,00 mile)Fatboy to last forever :). I just like that bike.
I am researching the Spectro for use in my 07 RG. other than here and a few BMW sites seems hard to find info on it.

Yes it can, however the additive packages are overkill for the 5 speed with just the straight cut gears, that's where the GL 1 comes into play. It can however be used with no problems at all in the 5 speeds and works best in the 6 speeds with the helical cut gears.

I think you will notice a difference.

Well, After reading up on all the trans oil related topics, I have decided it was time to give it a try. I had contacted Spectro, Very nice people! And found out the only dealer in my area was a Honda dealer! I gave them a call and they had ordered a full case of it for me! I told them i only need 1 quart, They said no problem. Plus i think i have a few freinds that want to try it as well.
So, I am heading out the door this am to pick it up and plan on dropping it in this week after adding a few other things, pipes, tuner, Air filter! :D
Will give my feed backon all of this when completed next week.
Again, Thanks Mr. Data on all of you hard work on this site!:s

Glad I can help.

I think you'll find the addition of the Spectro to the trans a very worthwhile addition.

Hi, I think I am getting this straight...Due to the Sportster models having only 2 seperate oil supplies.

1) Engine oil tank (Sportster uses "dry sump" meaning no oil storage in the pan) so "dino oil" or HD Syn3 Blend is used initially for breakin to allow parts to wear-in and seat, and after couple of oil changes...then you recommend switch to a full synthetic 20-50W Mobil 1 V-Twin for the engine oil only.

2) 5 Speed Transmission Gear & Clutch use same oil, which poses a problem in that gear oil needs to be heavier (75W-140) to lube the gears, but the 100% synthetic may be too slippery for the clutch...hence the recommended GL-1 like Spectrol 85W Primary Chaincase Lube, available at my HD dealer. I do not know about GLC, but designation implies that it is additionally suitable for trans/clutch/chains applicable here, as I have no service manual yet...

Can you clarify this? I would like to change my primary case tranny/clutch fluid, but would like to know the benefit for GLC verses GL1. Oh what a tangled web this Oil thread thing has woven!

Back