free website stats program Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly

Nice to know where the return line is, thank you. I never really paid any attention to it.
As far as placing grease, or a thick substance in the pump is not good IMO. A friend tried that and it wouldn't pump oil. It is designed to pump a liquid not a thick compound.
As Jennmarr suggested you might try 10-15 lbs. of air pressure in the tank to pre fill the pump. Remove your ball check valve and watch for oil to come out with the air pressure.
This is really confusing to me. Never had anywhere near this much trouble priming a pump.
tourbox

I just tried this, got oil at the check valve, but I still have no oil pressure.

I just tried this, got oil at the check valve, but I still have no oil pressure.

Did you try disconnecting the return line?
I think the oil flow goes from the pump through the engine to the filter back to the tank, no longer have the manual to check.
Did you also remove the plug at the tappet screen and the sending unit to see if you have oil there?
At this point if you have oil at those places and the gears are turning you may have a bad pump.
Gear pumps operate on close tolerances even a scratch or score mark on the housing, excessive wear or a nick in one of the gears can cause the pump to lose pressure.

I just got my bike back from the shop. Here's what they found:

There are two threaded holes in the oil pump cover, one for the oil line fitting, one for a plug. I had swapped them when I put it together! A $400 mistake!

They also said that they found some metal debris in the oil lines and passages, which I found hard to believe. I thought I had thouroughly cleaned them out.

IF that being the case, and My bike: (finding metal in the oil line ?)

Run with the oil in it now and change it out at 50 miles...

Then add a less expensive oil and run it another 50 miles Draining and install a new filter,,,,Check tappet screen and call it good...

New oil filter and pour in your favorite oil and RIDE...:newsmile026:

signed....BUBBIE

Well I'm glad you got it fixed. I have been waiting for your answer on what they found. Thanks for posting the results, I was about ready to make a house call(lol).
I agree whole heartily with BUBBIE. Once again Glad you got it fixed.
tourbox

Back