free website stats program Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure light on after engine re-assembly

Mel Neff

I just re-assembled my Evo engine after replacing a bad tappet and cam. I started it up, but only ran it for a few seconds when I noticed that the oil pressure warning light was staying on. My question is, how soon should the light go out on initial start-up, considering that the oil pump, gear case, and valve train were dissassembled?

Thanks,
Mel

I just re-assembled my Evo engine after replacing a bad tappet and cam. I started it up, but only ran it for a few seconds when I noticed that the oil pressure warning light was staying on. My question is, how soon should the light go out on initial start-up, considering that the oil pump, gear case, and valve train were dissassembled?

Thanks,
Mel

Do you have oil in engine????

It should come up with in a few seconds. Verify you have connected the wire to the PSI switch and your dash wiring. You could also install a gauge to verify you have pressure. If you used assembly lube the engine will be ok until the oil gets moving.

You should have oil pressure in 20 seconds for sure. Check your gauge connections as mentioned above. Check with a test gauge.

Did you check the oil pump housing for any score marks? Did you make sure the worm drive was engaged and the shaft keys in good condition?
Did you soak the new tappits in oil for 24 hrs. before installing?
Any of these could affect the oil pressure.

When you reassembled the engine / oil pump, did you pack the oil pump with vaselene or another substance? It sounds like the oil pump did not pickup the prime.

Back