free website stats program Oil Filter / oil catch | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter / oil catch

I have found that if I loosen the filter slightly first, before I slide the drip funnel under the filter, I can turn the filter half a turn after I punch a hole in it by hand. Then I punch another hole in the top of the filter and it lets the air in so it drains quickly. Then I pull the funnel out with the filter laying on it and there's not a drop of oil left on the motor. I just take a rag and wipe down the filter mount.

Joel,

Thanks for the tip. First time Harley owner does have a question though. I have a similar filter on my 2001 Road King and I am trying to find out where to get a similar one. Can you give me any details on the chrome filter?

Thanks,
John
2001 Road King

Hey John glad the oil filter catch can work for you, The H-D chrome filter # 63798-99A is the part # for your bike, there is also a K/N chrome filter #740-472 that has a nut on the end so you can use a 11/16 socket with about a 10 inch extension for removing it. I have been using the Mobil 1 for V-Twin 20/50 oil, pick it up a Wally Mart for under $9.00 a qt.

Joel,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what I have gotten myself into. :s I've owned several Japanese bikes and am not used to having to change so many different fluids. It was easy just changing the oil and having that include the transmission as well. I see that J&P sells the K/N filter. Having worked there for 2 years (IT Dept) and it being only a 40 minute ride, I know where I am heading the next chance I get. I have been reading several posts about changing the engine oil, transmission and primary fluids, so I am gaining as much knowledge as possible. I have used the Mobil V-Twin in my 1500 Nomad and I will use that in the Road King as well. I have to say that I like being able to use standard SAE wrenches rather than the metric stuff.

Thanks again,
John

Thanks!!! That is a great idea. I saw the HD overpriced version in the catalog, and couldn't see paying what they wanted. BUT, I just finished changing the oil on my '08 XL1200L and ended up with oil all over the frame and floor :( You're idea will make my next oil change a breeze!!!! :worthy

Back