free website stats program Oil Filter / oil catch | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter / oil catch

joel

After a few different tries, this works to collect oil from oil filter when servicing your bike, using a 1 gal. washer fluid bottle, cut to size as shown in the picture, install in front of filter and past the filter housing, rotate counter clockwise, this will collect the oil as you spin the filter loose, pull filter away, place a rag in your oil collector to absorb oil, remove collector and install new filter and tighten as required. This will help protect the front engine mount and voltage regulator from oil

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

Last edited:
Joel's idea of making the jug/catch tray as a reusable one works great. Used to use an old liter bottle, but trying to drink more healthy fruit juices so I cut mine from a durable Ocean Spray Cranberry plastic jug. Save cap top 1/4 portion and left side for reservoir/windage tray, tapering 1/2 way down to the bottom, easily trims out and shapes a bit closer to the oil filter profile and did not spill a drop on the motor or mount below. Wipe the old bottle down and reuse it...no muss to fuss. :bigsmiley24:

DSCN0789-1.jpg

DSCN0793-1.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you guys have tried this idea. I went through a couple styles while servicing a couple FLH bikes one day, and came up with this one, really helps to keep the ragulator and frame clean, almost makes you want to put on more miles just to be able to use it again:lolrolling , will come up with something for other models when I can as the filter housing is a little bit different, closer to the engine case I believe.

Back