free website stats program Oil Filter / oil catch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter / oil catch

Great idea have u tried this on dynas im going to try it next oil change great to have so many shared ideas on this forum Thanks

I used a 1 liter plastic soda bottle, cut as shown in the pics, on my Sportster. Worked like a charm. I did leave the bottle cap on to catch the oil that ran out.

Great Idea!! I been using cardboard ( Time to think outside the box),letting it drip in a pan near shifter.Also have a juice container ready to use ,Love this site...Thanks,,Rod

Bought my Ultra a month ago and did the winter oil change last week. No oil catcher. Messy. So I was thinking of what to do about this for future oil changes .... Now I don't have to think ... I know .... Thanks for the tip .... Wish I'd seen this two weeks ago ... LOL

I will try the plastic bottle trick here. I had the dealer change my oil, because they gave me a free oil change, and they just spun the filter off and let the oil flow all over the frame, etc. Now I have been trying to wipe up all the spilled oil on my Sportster frame. It is hard to get it all out, seems to be pooled in there and slowly seeps out. I will try some brake clean or something next time I wash the bike. You would think the dealer would use something to catch the oil? I complained to them and they didn't seem to care. I am a mechanic and I would never be sloppy like that!

Nhk750, you found out why most HDT guests and members opt to do their own routine maintenance, the knowledge and gratification of doing a job well done yourself. The downside is you still have to find a dealer/servicer for those jobs you choose not to do, but would trust to do the job right. Happy hunting...:s

Ya, I hate other people doing my wrench work. I know I am a pretty good mechanic and am very thorough. You never now what your going to get when you take your ride in blind...I was a service manager for a few years and when hireing guys it was almost impossible to find good mechanics. It's probably even harder to find Harley mechanics.

I haven't seen any one mention the Greg's drip oil filter funnel. I got 2 sent to me and gave 1 to a friend who rides a Road King. We both think they work great and not a drop of oil gets on the motor or frame. The price is 19.95 US and well worth the money. The email address is ernstmfg.com. My local dealer doesn't want to carry them. My guess is he doesn't want to make things easy for us so we'll let the dealership do the oil changes.

Amazon has these for $21.00. I will buy one if other people say it works. How about it anyone else use these?

Back