free website stats program oil cooler | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler

All oil coolers work the same! But if your stuck in traffic they dont work at all!

Syn. oil will also run cooler and Amsoil make a 20-50 MC oil

Heck, this might be my first post here, normally a lurker learning.

With the Ultracool, if you are running an oil temp gauge, you will have an issue. The Ultracool uses the same hole, to run their thermostat, that the HD temp gauge does. That is a piece missing on their website.

How can one oil run cooler than another. I'm just askin'...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Now I don't believe it but I was told it was due to the reduction of internal engine friction. I am sure there may be some reduced friction, but to measure it and get 20 degrees, I would have to see with my own eyes.

I just installed the 10 row low mount Jagg oil cooler on my bike. The only reason I went with an oil cooler was because I have chromed my entire engine and needed the extra cooling. I have noticed that my temps have dropped to a less frightful number.

Al is correct, convection cooling is working even when standing still, remember your oil is extremely hot and the coils are at "ambient temperature"...that difference is well over 150 deg F...more than enough to cool that moving oil in the tubes (especially if there are internal "turbulation fins" that stir the oil and maintain intimate contact with the hot oil.

I liked the looks of the HD cooler because of the chrome cover and all the required parts were in the kit. The kit was less expensive then the JAG unit. About $257 shipped to my door. I also run a Lenale fan that I turn on in stop and go traffic. The fan insures my right leg never gets cold when moving slow. Whether or not it makes a difference in engine life who knows, but it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing the oil will be cooled more once the bike starts moving. Since the oil filter was installed with the crank sensor in the engine I don't see why I can't remove the old fiter with the sensor in place. I have one of the special oil filter wrenches that will clear the crank sensor and I'll be careful when removing the filter.

I think I need to get an oil cooler also, after doing some upgrades to my 09 RK, now my oil temp is around 254 F, I just got it out of the shop so I have done about 230 miles on it (today), I will call the dealer that did the work tomorrow as it seems pretty high, it is running regular oil at the moment for the break in period, will switch to amsoil once i change the oil,

i put a jagg 10 row on my rk. added a baker +1 pan as well. found a comparison in a mag on coolers. jagg had a much lower prssure drop across the cooler than the h-d unit (10 row jagg vs. 8 row h-d) the jagg has turbulators which spin the oil to keep the frictional surface changing and mixing to disipate more heat. straight flowing liquids will only lose so much heat until the change in temp (delta) equalizes. that is why the flows are in opposite directions in liquid-liquid coolers.

i have a 03 glide had hd cooler the idea of removing crank sencer scared me .
i baught a jeggs filter adapter now i dont have to remove sencer

Back