free website stats program oil coming out of tranny breather tube | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil coming out of tranny breather tube

This is a strange problem to have since the tranny in a HD is a splash/slung oil system, not a pressurized system.

Your book probably says that the tranny holds 20-24oz. of fluid. If you are doing a wet oil change (not opening up the tranny and completely drying it), you will likely need less than the full 24 oz. to refill it. Even if you got 23 oz. out of the tranny, I would start off adding back 20 oz., ride the bike a bit and then measure the fluid on the stick with the bike completely up-right and level. Add more fluid as required to be "Full".

When you say that the oil formed a small puddle under the bike, how much do you think that was? A little bit goes a long way with this stuff.

Finally, if you are still using that silly little "J" tube as the vent line, I suggest going to O'Reillys or AutoZone and getting a few feet of hose that will fit on that 90* nipple coming out of the tranny cover. Route the hose up over the other side of the tranny and down under the bike over by the fuel overflow line. I bet that solves it!!

Primary Oil Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Nothing has been done since last service. I can physically see the oil coming from the j tube. My dipstick is showing right on the money. I am still using the small J tube. I will try a longer one like you suggested and see what happens. Just that is't been 2000 miles since I serviced it and I don't believe it just start blowing out the tube now. It was like 6 or 7 drops in about 30 seconds

It was like 6 or 7 drops in about 30 seconds

I agree this is strange.

I never looked inside a tranny cover where the J tube enters. Is there some kind of baffle or horse hair filter box that is used as a vapor fluid separator? My J tube goes into a small cover that I can easily remove. Is yours the same.

Are you sure you haven't picked up any moisture? Possibly from heating up the oil under use and as the trans cools off it pulls in moist air which condenses. The oil will float on the water. Just a guess, I hope you let us know what you find.

Nothing has been done since last service. I can physically see the oil coming from the j tube. My dipstick is showing right on the money. I am still using the small J tube. I will try a longer one like you suggested and see what happens. Just that is't been 2000 miles since I serviced it and I don't believe it just start blowing out the tube now. It was like 6 or 7 drops in about 30 seconds

Put a four inch piece of clear plastic tubing on a syringe and pull two oz. out of the fill port. See what happens.

TQ

Not the same thing, but some Evo's - including mine - had problems with water entering into the tranny breather tube during rainy weather riding. Solution; to re-route the tube higher up.
I cannot see it as anything else than some sort of overfill condition (wet/dry volume diff).
Given that all else is normal (sounds, shifting action, etc.) try re-routing the hose like TQ suggests...

I changed the oil after this happened and refilled with 24oz and it's right on the money. I have not rode for about 5 weeks due to weather and then when I did this happened. I am going to re route the hose tomorrow and see what happens. It still shifts perfect and sounds great. Will see in the next couple days if changing the hose routing helps.

I changed the oil after this happened and refilled with 24oz and it's right on the money. I have not rode for about 5 weeks due to weather and then when I did this happened. I am going to re route the hose tomorrow and see what happens. It still shifts perfect and sounds great. Will see in the next couple days if changing the hose routing helps.

Is the fluid just on the end of the vent tube or is the area between the primary and trans wet also? Since the trans. does not, or should not build any real pressure, and I have been draining and refilling my '94 FLSTC with 24oz since I bought it. I don't think we have an overfill problem, I have seen fluid on the inside of the primary and the left side of the trans. It was coming from a worn outer bearing trans. seal.

ON my 97 dyna, IT ALWAYS Spit out the EXCESS tranny lube when OVER FILLED. Even though it Only showed full on the dip stick.

I found IT Will SEAK it's OWN Level.

WHEN it Quits spitting oil AND has enough to run SAFE,,, Leave it where it is... It is fine..

It doesn't take Much fluid to Be Over Full.(.) The Bikes tranny KNOWS how full it needs to be and spits out the EXCESS .....

NOW if it keeps spitting and goes lower by a 1/4 inch on the full mark ????

I don't remember or see mention WHAT HD fluid are you using?????

I would ONLY use Redline Shockproof in MY trannys,,, IF NOT careful when I added ,,,, It ALWAYS would Drip Out the tube, the EXTRA not WANTED ...

The Tube IS just a VENT/OVERFLOW and Nothing More.

Ride it.

signed....BUBBIE

Back