free website stats program oil coming out of tranny breather tube | Harley Davidson Forums

oil coming out of tranny breather tube

gsschulz

On my 95 dyna wide glide I just started getting oil coming out of my tranny breather. After a few seconds I had a small puddle.What could cause this? This is my first harley and my service manual doesn't describe this issue.Hope someone can tell me where to start.Thanks

Im using the harley davidson oil.The fluid levels are all good also.Just thought there might be something blocked like a check valve or some type of filter somewhere I don't know about.

Last edited:
did you add oil before the overflow? are you checking the level correctly? if you are checking the level with the bike on the side stand, you will over fill the tranny. had the same thing happen to me. check your manual for proper fluid level checks.

Yes Im checking it flat, not on kickstand.Added exactly the 24 oz it called for.It's correct on the stick. It has 2000 miles since I last changed oil and just now having a problem. Thats why i'm confused a little.

I rode and evo bike for years and am not familar with a tranny breather tube. Where is it? We are not confusing this with the engine oil are we? always something new to learn.

On my 95 dyna wide glide I just started getting oil coming out of my tranny breather. After a few seconds I had a small puddle.What could cause this? This is my first harley and my service manual doesn't describe this issue.Hope someone can tell me where to start.Thanks

Did you do your own service and verify the amount you drained out? Is the fluid for sure coming out of the black vent hose and not from some where else on the tranny?

It is definatly coming from breather hose. Yes I verified how much was in there.I drained oil out after this problem and measured it. 23oz was in there and it calls for 24oz. I put 24oz back in and have same problem.

Does the trans. shift OK? Has anything else been changed since the last service? Have you tried looking behind the trans drive pulley? Sometimes the fluid from a leaking tranny seal can travel up as well as down. Are you getting trans fluid on the drive belt?

Back