free website stats program Not immediately accelerating | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not immediately accelerating

Change or clean your air filter and try some new plugs and wires:s

I tried searching the forum for an answer to this but it seems like there are a lot of possibilities. I'm a new Harley owner and I want to make sure I check the easiest fixes first.

I ride an '06 883 and I'm just starting to learn about motors and engines. It seems that lately, when I start it up, I'll let it get warm, and when I throttle to get going the bike is really slow to respond. At first, I thought I was just low on gas so I switched to reserve and filled her up. But its happenning consistently now. Can I get some advice on where I should start.

Have the temps been getting colder when this problem started to occur?

Does it feel like it's bogging down when you try to accelerate, how about after it's ridden a while? Does it get better then? If so how long do you ride before it becomes normal again?

Craig121212,
Here is my personal take on it.
Go down to your local autopart store. By a can of Seafoam.
Then dump it in your gas tank and fill your tank up with Gas.
Ride around for an hour or so. Did it get better?
If so then you just cleaned you tank and fuel lines from all the Gum and deposits..over the years. from 2006.

If it got a little better, you may need to change your fuel filter.
This I believe shood fix your problem. If not then, you will need to look at changing air filter, Plugs and plug wires etc. But for $7-8 dollars for a can of Sea foam and no wrenching,that is a pretty good deal.

Disclaimer::)
This is my humble opinion and my opinion only based on my limited experience and Knowledge. Others may know more...
My name is Honest Abe and I approved this message:p

Last edited:
I tried searching the forum for an answer to this but it seems like there are a lot of possibilities. I'm a new Harley owner and I want to make sure I check the easiest fixes first.

I ride an '06 883 and I'm just starting to learn about motors and engines. It seems that lately, when I start it up, I'll let it get warm, and when I throttle to get going the bike is really slow to respond. At first, I thought I was just low on gas so I switched to reserve and filled her up. But its happenning consistently now. Can I get some advice on where I should start.

Do you have any mods to the bike like slip on mufflers or stage 1 intake?

I have a feeling your problem could be jetting.

Have the temps been getting colder when this problem started to occur?

Does it feel like it's bogging down when you try to accelerate, how about after it's ridden a while? Does it get better then? If so how long do you ride before it becomes normal again?

Man, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help. Yes, it does feel like its bogging down. After I ride for about ten minutes it seems to work itself out. I just want to make sure I'm not tearing anything up in those first ten. And yes, I'm in SW Missouri and its starting to get cold here.

Do you have any mods to the bike like slip on mufflers or stage 1 intake?

I have a feeling your problem could be jetting.

Previous owner said, "Stage 2 Screaming Eagle intake". Besides that the pipes are a 2 into 1 and everything else is cosmetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the info you gave, it sounds like the carb needs to be rejetted with a bigger jet choice. The indications are that it runs better after running a while and it started when the weather got cooler along with the exhaust mods and intake mods. Possibilities are that it was not jetted or not jetted properly and the reason for the bogging. Also proper use of the enricher is an important factor also.

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

CV Carb Rejet Pics - Harley Davidson Community

Enricher Use Tip For Carbed Bikes - Harley Davidson Community

Understanding /Tuning on a CV Carburetor - Harley Davidson Community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible that an idle mixture adjustment at the adjustment screw will suffice in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps raising the slide needle with a couple of washers will get you on the taper a wee bit earlier and make a wee bit of difference at lower rev ranges but perhaps using partial choke till the engine is fully warmed up is the real answer

Brian

Welcome,
The post that Glider put up for the enricher is right on the money. Just like it mentioned in the summer time you don't even need to use it. If you do then you have other problems.

If it has been rejetted it could be that someone drilled out the needle jet and that can cause issues especially in cooler weather.

I hope you get it running soon.

If it has been rejetted it could be that someone drilled out the needle jet and that can cause issues especially in cooler weather.

I hope you get it running soon.

I think what you were thinking here is if they drilled out the vacuum port in the slide, that's where the problem could come from.:s

Back