free website stats program Not immediately accelerating | Harley Davidson Forums

Not immediately accelerating

I tried searching the forum for an answer to this but it seems like there are a lot of possibilities. I'm a new Harley owner and I want to make sure I check the easiest fixes first.

I ride an '06 883 and I'm just starting to learn about motors and engines. It seems that lately, when I start it up, I'll let it get warm, and when I throttle to get going the bike is really slow to respond. At first, I thought I was just low on gas so I switched to reserve and filled her up. But its happenning consistently now. Can I get some advice on where I should start.

Very strong possibility it could be low fuel pump pressure. If fuel pressure is low, even by a few pounds, the bike will sag off the line.

Several things can cause low injector pressure. Are you doing the work or are you taking it to a professional shop.

Once again, I'm trying to learn so forgive the ignorance, but it's carburated so there shouldn't be fuel injectors correct?

Carb on a 2006? Your kidding. I thought all carbs were gone by 2006.

My mistake.., disregard my last transmission!:D

Then I would have to say your accelerator pump/ acc-pump linkage/accel diapham needs work..
Carb experts will jump in and save me!.

I tried searching the forum for an answer to this but it seems like there are a lot of possibilities. I'm a new Harley owner and I want to make sure I check the easiest fixes first.

I ride an '06 883 and I'm just starting to learn about motors and engines. It seems that lately, when I start it up, I'll let it get warm, and when I throttle to get going the bike is really slow to respond. At first, I thought I was just low on gas so I switched to reserve and filled her up. But its happenning consistently now. Can I get some advice on where I should start.

A few ?'s ----- You state that your a "new HD owner" so I'm guessing that your not the org. owner (??) Do you know by chance if any mods have been done? Do you know , since you said it's carb'd , what manf. the carb is? Do you know what jets/needle is in it now? Have you checked for any vacuum/exhaust leaks? what octane fuel you putting in it? Has it been sitting any length of time? How many miles on the scoot?

Please dont take offence, but since you stated you were a new owner I have to ask, is the choke pushed in?

Carb on a 2006? Your kidding. I thought all carbs were gone by 2006.

My mistake.., disregard my last transmission!:D

Then I would have to say your accelerator pump/ acc-pump linkage/accel diapham needs work..
Carb experts will jump in and save me!.

Sportster didnt get fi untill 2007 year model so would have been fiited mid 2006 on

Brian

As all my bikes are carbed i have found that if i let my bike run while i get my gear on i can back off the choke to about 1/4 on then after i have gone 1 to 2 miles i can back the choke right off however if it is cold might need to run with the choke a wee bit longer always ride the bike easy when the choke is on as the engine components are still expanding

Brian

Sportster didnt get fi untill 2007 year model so would have been fiited mid 2006 on

Brian

Not until 2007... Unbelievable. Sporty was carb and Dyna was ECM driven closed loop O2 sensor. Talk about extremes...:)

Tks!

None taken. I choke the bike to start it but after it runs for four or five minutes, I usually do push the choke all the way in. I'm pushing it in before actually getting on at riding it at all. I'm guessing that's a mistake...

Back