free website stats program Not Happy with Rinehart TD's | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Happy with Rinehart TD's

Put your stock pipes back on, buy some slip on pipes that meet your needs, and sell the TD pipes. Problem solved. Lots of options, I have Jack Pot pipes (slip on's) and have no desire at all to get TD. You could sell the Rineharts easily.

I considered that but I can't get over the fact that the elimination of the crossover along with the PC III and the new A/C has TOTALLY eliminated ALL of the heat issues. Then there's the added bonus of a beautiful right side that shows off the "Twins" and is so much easier to clean and maintain. My problem is that I jumped on the Rineharts because they are popular, I was in a hurry, and I couldn't stand the sound of the "sewing machine" that come out of the factory. Like I said, the idle and easy cruise sound is great but "get on it " , climb or put a "load on" and these pipes are obnoxious, IMO. I want true duals that sound the way I want them to sound so I'll just have to go about finding, or making, exactly what I want. Isn't that what we all want?

Its not easy finding the exact exhaust system that you enjoy and can live with day in and day out, but I agree the stock exhaust is not really an option.

On my previous Electraglide (2000 ) I put the screaming eagle touring mufflers on it and it sounded great. Nice rumble but not obnoxious.

Fast forward 8 years and of course the new screaming eagle mufflers are somewhat tamer and not all that impressive.

I bought the Vance and Hines Oval slip-ons.. They sound decent most of the time but can sound kinda tinny and obnoxious when accelerating from lower speeds. Not entirely happy with them either but don't feel like spending another $500 bucks on something else.

With your removable baffles, would it be possible to wrap the baffles in some sort of sound deadening material? Might mellow the sound out a little bit if it can be done.

The only other alternative is spending hard earned cash on another complete system. No matter what, finding the right exhaust always seems to be a bit of a compromise.

Speaking of Reinhardts, I love mine. Got the slip-ons on my new 09 SG and had the true-dual setup on my 05 RK. Question: Is there are way to remove/alter the baffles on the Reinhardts to make them louder? I know, louder? Hey, to each his own. :D

Good tip on the wrap idea. I'll get some fiberglass sheets and give that a shot being that it will cost very little to try. The baffles are suspended in the center of the muffler and held tight by the front venturi pressure fit and the rear end caps which center them. So there should be plenty of room for some wrap. I figure that SS wire will be the best way to hold the wrap. I"ll let everyone know how that goes.

I dont know how much it would hurt your power but if you have ever seen the baffles on the SE slip ons you could cut and bend the baffle the same way they are.

There is no “packing” in the Rinehart TD baffles. For those that haven’t seen them they are essentially a straight interior steel pipe with some offset “waffling” that spirals down the perimeter of the baffle. Kind-of difficult to explain if you can’t see them. The bottom line is that the baffles are as if you inserted a straight 2 inch pipe that is suspended or centered in the middle of a 3 1/2 inch muffler. Then picture that you took a “church-key” can opener and pushed a bunch of slot cuts to the outside of the baffle. What I’m getting at is that you can take a 2 inch diameter broomstick and shove it freely right up the muffler to the head-pipe. The quiet baffles simply lessen or “thicken” the interior diameter of the baffle. If you take the stock Harley mufflers, which I obviously now have sitting in my garage, and hold them up to a light and look through them, you cannot see one spec of light. If you take the Rinehart mufflers with the “baffles” installed and do the same thing you can see 2 inches of clear, free and unobstructed light all the way through. I havn't seen the SE baffles but would be interested to know how they work.

I would be very careful about modifying your pipes. Talk about sheet canning your warranty. Could be bad results in more than one way.

99.999% of all Harleys have modified exhaust systems. Dealers push and sell the aftermarket exhausts, high performance A/C options and fuel management systems, SERT's or downloads. They make a ton of dough on these mod's. Dealers buy and operate $50,000 dyno systems for a reason. It sure ain't to tune up your stock bike!

Back